SO LONG BUSTER !!!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

chaberlal

SO LONG BUSTER !!!

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 10:37 pm

That's it... Buster Posey has decided to call it for good...

What a magnificent carreer and human being...

The Giants will sorely miss him...

He decided that his wife and 4 children were more important than the $22 million he Giants were ready to give him to exercise their option next year...

Long and happy life Buster...

Palmtana

Re: SO LONG BUSTER !!!

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 12:15 am

Posey joins Pete Rose as the only two ROY, MVP and 3 time World Series winners.

STEVENSTEFFANNI

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 6:27 pm

nice career but he was not worth 22 million next season..he did the Giants a favor

MaxPower

PostSat Nov 06, 2021 12:29 am

Dude just got done with a 5-win season, that's worth about twice as much as $22 million. Absurd to think he would've been overpaid at that price. Realmuto got $23M/yr and that was on a 5-year deal.

freeman

PostSat Nov 06, 2021 5:08 pm

Dang it! He was on my team on a cheap contract in my keeper league...

Hack Wilson

PostSat Nov 06, 2021 8:13 pm

Giants fan here, and Buster was a GREAT one, what a career. He went out on top, as good a last season as his first (rookie year OPS+ of 133, last season 140), and in the same uniform. He made a lot of money, deservedly, so he didn't need to jump team to team like some do in their twilight years to make an extra buck. He took a beating as a catcher, I absolutely don't blame him. Farewell Buster, we will miss you!

scorehouse

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 5:30 pm

I'm using the 9l Posey at 1b and the 2l Mauer at catcher. use the cheap Carew to platoon at 1b and sub for when Posey takes over for an injured Mauer at catcher. Forbes 65 working out well. he's hitting ..395 against LHPs. team has 900 abs against LHP's and 1100 against RHP's which is pretty balanced. team is around .500 but the dice have been against my pitchers so far. my team hitting is over .300 so we'll see... first time Ive ever tried him at 1b.

The Last Druid

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 8:02 pm

Great player, even better human being. It's always bittersweet for me when such a great player --in any sport -- retires while still at or near the top of his game. If he played just two or three more years probably would have been a lock for the HOF. Now, not at all certain he makes it.

Still he clearly has his priorities in order.

FrankieT

PostWed Nov 10, 2021 8:12 am

Agree with all the accolades completely.

Not a Giants fan, but I am an FSU alum, and what he did for the Giants as a teammate was very similar to what he did at FSU. Brought them back to the CWS after a long hiatus--which at FSU was a big deal because we were as much a baseball school as a football school back then.

Even though he had great stats for a catcher or otherwise, his larger impact was he made everyone around him better. Stats can't always reveal the positive impact for some of the most special teammates with those intangibles. And although he was also recruited as a college pitcher I believe, his awareness of the pitchers and his infielder instincts just made him that much better of a catcher for calling a game--a lost art for the little things but they add up. Some say he was on par with the best in FSU history in any sport.

Enjoy it Buster, and after a break, maybe dip the toe back in and help shape a new generation.

mburatti76

PostSun Nov 14, 2021 3:37 pm

The Last Druid wrote:Great player, even better human being. It's always bittersweet for me when such a great player --in any sport -- retires while still at or near the top of his game. If he played just two or three more years probably would have been a lock for the HOF. Now, not at all certain he makes it.

Still he clearly has his priorities in order.

If Harold Baines is in the Hall of Fame, Buster Posey is in all day long. A very good hitter and excellent defender at a premium position. In a true Hall of Fame, he probably is borderline due to a somewhat short career and not enough time to rack up eye popping counting stats. But it has become the Hall of Good Players and he certainly meets that criteria.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats