Phantom Check Swing

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

kaviksdad

Phantom Check Swing

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 3:02 pm

I'm not even a Giants fan and I'm just shocked at how the series with the Dodgers ended. I mean c'mon on, it wasn't even close! Terrible way to end what was a fantastic game and a great series.

andycummings65

Re: Phantom Check Swing

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 3:42 pm

In my opinion, he didn’t swing.
Problem is, that’s an umpire judgment call. Nothing in the rule book states exactly what a checked swing is or is not, just that it’s the umpire’s decision as to whether he offered at the pitch.

STEVE F

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 4:48 pm

I'm a Dodger fan, and I felt cheated by the call. I wanted a no doubt K of the little cryer Flores (who was 0-18 lifetime vs Scherzer coming into the AB). I've had no use for him since his Met days. As Tom Hanks said ; "There's no crying in baseball"

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2015/7/29/ ... rlos-gomez

mykeedee

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 8:22 pm

I'm a Dodger fan also and I couldn't agree with you more Steve!

jcheney2013

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 9:10 pm

I'm a Giants fan & could have cried at the call. The good side is we get to throw that in the Dodger fans faces for the next decade at least!

STEVE F

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 9:43 pm

jcheney2013 wrote:I'm a Giants fan & could have cried at the call. The good side is we get to throw that in the Dodger fans faces for the next decade at least!

Throw what? Does anybody really think Flores would have done anything vs Scherzer given another pitch? I don't get all this Dodger Giant hate. I rooted for the Giants in all 4 of the series that they were in. It's Flores I've always had a problem with.

visick

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 9:01 pm

As a Mets fan, I was sad to see Flores go.

Unlike others here in this thread, I liked seeing him cry when he thought he was traded.

He came up in the Mets system at a young age.
He liked NY.

And it's nice to see REAL emotions and feelings from athletes.
Rather than the BS cliches and/or zero information.

Half the time these primadonnas get interviewed, they don't answer the questions.

FTR- that was a terrible call. He didn't swing. The videotape replay would have shown this.

nevdully's

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 10:05 pm

visick wrote:As a Mets fan, I was sad to see Flores go.

Unlike others here in this thread, I liked seeing him cry when he thought he was traded.

He came up in the Mets system at a young age.
He liked NY.

And it's nice to see REAL emotions and feelings from athletes.
Rather than the BS cliches and/or zero information.

Half the time these primadonnas get interviewed, they don't answer the questions.

FTR- that was a terrible call. He didn't swing. The videotape replay would have shown this.

Gimme all of this! (pointing above)

MaxPower

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 12:40 am

The man loved his team so much that he was publicly brought to tears when he thought he was traded. I am a mature and emotionally developed adult male and I am here to tell you that this was not the endearing story everyone made it out to be, but rather a damning indictment of Flores, because it's bad for men to cry. I know this to be true because an actor once said so in a popular comedy film.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats