Inexplicable Starter Fatigue--Keefe--Ideas?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

FrankieT

Inexplicable Starter Fatigue--Keefe--Ideas?

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 11:58 am

Hi,
This isn't a question of how to reduce early starter pulls or why Tim Keefe was removed--it is a question of why the PCF algorithm would consider him less than F9 after this meager effort. It doesn't match up with anything I've been tracking or that is documented on the algorithm. It truly seems inexplicably random to me.

I have the S9 Tim Keefe and he was yanked in the second inning of this game after 44 pitches, and went from F9 to F7 following only 3 hits and 2 walks. Granted, one of the hits was a grand salami to Gibson in the first inning, but still--not something I recall seeing.
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/playbyplay/456843/422

He hasn't pitched more than 8 1/3 innings in his last 7 starts.
He hasn't relieved or had any weird marathon outings--starts every 5th day.
I've never seen a well rested S9 go to F7 after 3 hits and a couple walks.

I must be missing something or my recollection is failing.

Cheers

STEVE F

Re: Inexplicable Starter Fatigue--Keefe--Ideas?

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 1:59 pm

In the Non Pitch count version, it's 5 runs in an inning or 6 runs in any 2 innings span equals automatically tired. I think that could be what happened here

FrankieT

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 3:46 pm

That could be it Steve. My problem with that and why I didn't consider it, is in the explanation of what is used in the online version, it is very explicit that none of those methods are used--it is all PCF algorithms.

I would bet the CMMI level and software engineering artifacts rigor is not likely to be very high, since they are a small operation. For the online port of the game, I'd guess probably lots of changes are made by parameter files and scripts versus config controlled software and a full accounting of use cases, test cases, test reports, etc.

MaxPower

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 1:05 am

All the POW rules from the board game like the one Steve mentioned still apply online and in Windows regardless of whether PCF is on. All PCF does in this situation is take Keefe down to F7 instead of F0, which is what he'd be taken down to without PCF. 3 baserunners in an inning after POW, 5-6-7 runs in 1-2-3 innings, those things still fatigue a pitcher like they do without PCF.

FrankieT

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 1:42 pm

I have no doubt you and Steve are correct as it explains the outcome, though the explanation in the wiki is partially contradictory on the same page (like as in the red bold text below). It isn't a replacement, it is an adaptation. It does at least explain what happened in that game.

Pitch Count Fatigue is a special system found only in SOM Online and the CD-ROM game that is a replacement for the board game's Super-Advanced Point of Weakness (POW) rules

A Suggested Pitch Count is determined for each pitcher at the start of each game. This represents the approximate number of pitches he may throw before his condition starts to deteriorate.
Normally pitchers start their appearance as F9 and maintain that level until they approach or exceed their Suggested Pitch Count.

The situations wherein a pitcher can reach his Point of Weakness (POW) as per the Super-Advanced POW rules do still apply, but in these cases he is not to be considered suddenly "tired", nor do all "@" readings automatically turn into SINGLE**. But this DOES significantly speed up the pitcher's Pitch Count Fatigue deterioration.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats