Good for the Gander

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

FrankieT

Re: Good for the Gander

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 7:57 am

tkl33 wrote:
they've been alive living in their parent's basement.

Did that for a minute...found my Dad's old Playboys...best days ever!! :lol: :lol:

Ha! Well played

FrankieT

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 8:05 am

Sorry boomers, the free market has spoken. MLB wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't in their economic interest. Capitalism at work, if you don't like it move to communist China.

Not that I'm a boomer or any other caste description, but the overall economic question remains to be seen. Just ask the businesses in ATL.

And as I said, to compare Jim Crow laws to, say, requiring an ID is the type of thing only someone ignorant of history would say. It's akin to saying a horrific but random murder of asian americans is on the same level of the US's internment of 150K japanese americans circa WW2 by FDR, and killing of many who tried to escape.

Whether MLB thinks a twitterati mob is their customers speaking, is up to them It's also my choice to say adios. Their brand is already on the wane for a long time.

The fact I don't choose to support their business doesn't mean I have to go live somewhere else. Interesting to say that tying politics to business choices is capitalism while the absence of it is a communist nation's approach.

FrankieT

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 am

nevdully's wrote:Threads like this help explain why there is so many people here I don't really care for.

That's too bad. Why not interact amiably? No need to care for the person you don't agree with, but in ignoring you risk never learning...or teaching.

I don't agree with austin's comment for instance, but I don't disparage his existence because of it. Doesn't mean I care or don't care for him. He is welcome in my circle of people whether I agree with him or not. Because he is a person, not an avatar.

But, in keeping with that, I can appreciate your position.

thetallguy747

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 11:10 am

FrankieT wrote:

My motto was and always will be: just leave me alone and I'll do the same for you. If you need help, ask, don't demand.

My philosophy exactly. And it's a uniquely American philosophy -- not selfish, but an individualist philosophy. It has helped us stay clear of the tribalism and the resulting cycles of resentment and revenge that has plagued mankind throughout history. How much longer that philosophy can endure, resisting the forces that want to drive us into competing camps where we identify with the group instead of the self, is a question at issue.

thetallguy747

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 11:19 am

Nevdully's wrote:

Threads like this help explain why there is so many people here I don't really care for.

Vive la difference. We don't have to like each other in order to respect each other in disagreement. I didn't start this thread to start trouble. I would rather have just canceled my season tickets -- but I'm not a season ticket holder. I was born into a society in the 1950's where people feared speaking out about their political beliefs because it could ruin them. Now here we are, back to the future.

thetallguy747

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 11:46 am

Austinmdavidson wrote:

if you don't like it move to communist China.

We may have to:

https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/03/techno ... index.html

(or maybe Communist China will just move here.)

FrankieT

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 12:01 pm

The Tencent deal shows that the virtue signaling is just that...MLB et al are the same companies/institutions that are doing big business in places where there are human rights and labor abuses they profit from.

And that's fine if it is needed to salvage their business, but don't fabricate all this other theater is because you want to show you care about human rights. To quote Bill the Cat...."Ack"

Richard Kimble

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 12:59 pm

FrankieT wrote:The Tencent deal shows that the virtue signaling is just that...MLB et al are the same companies/institutions that are doing big business in places where there are human rights and labor abuses they profit from.

And that's fine if it is needed to salvage their business, but don't fabricate all this other theater is because you want to show you care about human rights. To quote Bill the Cat...."Ack"

MLB is not "Capitalism"and "Free Market". It is a government sanctioned monopoly with stadiums genrally subsidized by taxpayers.

Richard Kimble

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 1:03 pm

FrankieT wrote:The Tencent deal shows that the virtue signaling is just that...MLB et al are the same companies/institutions that are doing big business in places where there are human rights and labor abuses they profit from.

That's correct-Who is MLB really screwing economically? The largely black population of Atlanta. "BLM" be damned

djmacb

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 1:18 pm

nevdully's wrote:Threads like this help explain why there is so many people here I don't really care for.

Couldn't agree more Nev. The premise of the thread is I feel put upon by people I disagree with politically, so I don't have to follow any rules. And of course we all know the Internet is the perfect place for reasonable political discourse. The only way this thread doesn't end the same way they all end - profane denunciations of the other side and eventually locking - is if it becomes an echo chamber. Have at it.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats