TLD is more than hype or skill...it's Magic

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

FrankieT

TLD is more than hype or skill...it's Magic

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 12:34 pm

So, I got stuck in the same division with a similar park to Druid. OK, I thought, test my mettle.

Game 1 to open the season, due to a lineup glitch, Druid starts Brett Tomko (0.50M 5R) card--the "dead weight" starter, against my lefty team in Sporstman '38 against Ferdie.

And Brett T won. 6 inning winning pitcher.
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/454130/3

TLD is more than hype or skill. Bruce is now also the Magic Man.

egvrich

Re: TLD is more than hype or skill...it's Magic

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 1:42 pm

I one made a roster move and forgot to adjust my rotation and Randy Lerch (6L) started something like 3 or 4 games before I noticed it and he was 3-0 with a nice ERA ... go figure.

The Last Druid

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 1:47 pm

I did what I was supposed to do with the per game starters. I switched from the cheap Sutton card to the most expensive about an hour before the deadline for moves and then adjusted my per game starters so that the new Sutton was pitching game 1 against Frank in Sportsman 38. Somehow HAL still read that as the old Suttton card and when that card was not available,substituted Tomko. What utter bullshit.

If it was really magic, Tomko would have shut him out.

FrankieT

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 2:31 pm

Sure there may be a lesson learned or bug there regarding the quirks of the per-game starting pitcher interface, but only you would yell BS after sweeping me to open the season. ;)

Cmon and cut the padawan a break!

The Last Druid

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 3:45 pm

Frank, it wasn't about winning or losing for me. It is trusting the interface to do what it is instructed to do. That is my issue with all this.

FrankieT

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 4:01 pm

The Last Druid wrote:Frank, it wasn't about winning or losing for me. It is trusting the interface to do what it is instructed to do. That is my issue with all this.

Agreed. In all seriousness, it certainly would have been even worse BS if I won the game that way because the interface would have been to blame. What if it were a playoff opener--bad deal.

I find that I cannot use checkboxes and dropdowns in Firefox at times. Just doesn't do the click() function for certain web page items.

The Last Druid

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 4:10 pm

I have had that experience at times with Firefox also. Just haven't experienced it here, at least in terms of being consciously aware of it. I guess hypervigilance is the lesson learned from this. :cry:

jet40

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 7:32 pm

You guys probably don't want to hear my latest experiment. I assembled a 100 mill team, filled out the 4 man rotation and batting order. But thats all I did. I am platooning 2 positions but have not touched hitting preferences (so I have not instructed Hal to PH for any platoons). I left pitching preferences and team strategy untouched as well. Basically Hal makes all decisions. The team is 25-8.

FrankieT

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 8:44 pm

That's interesting jet. I have been using the hands-off approach with pitching for quite some time--over about 10 teams I had better results than teams for which I set every type of role/preference.

It does seem that for HAL, there is a sharp drop in AI intelligence at some point when there are just too many restrictions or business rules enabled. Unless you have control over every element in real time, it is unpredictable. For one, it is hard to know how our preferences precisely interface with the stock business rules of the black box to begin with.

So on the contrary--I think your experiment is great!

Minimizing the impact of HAL by minimizing what we tell HAL. A concept.

jet40

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 10:37 pm

Frankie, I remember you saying you have a 'hands off' approach towards pitching. I remember because I have dabbled with that as well. This is the first time I have gone all-in with both hitters and pitchers. I also never set my lineup for reverse pitchers. The one thing that has stood out is I have yet to issue a IBB. Hal has it set to normal. I also don't really have a bullpen, but the relief setting is set to aggressive. But it is what it is. No matter what is in store, it's in Hal's hands.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats