Anybody compile numbers on OF arm impact?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Whoopycat

Anybody compile numbers on OF arm impact?

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 2:16 pm

I need to be more diligent about this, but I've got a Polo team with an OF of Meusel/Mays/Betts. So I try to check my opponents baserunning tab under Misc before the games at night and then check it the following morning. When I do remember to do this here is what I usually see:

Opportunities: 6 or 7
Advanced: 0 or 1
Outs: 0 or 1

So HAL is testing my OF arms about 1/6th of the time, and roughly 50% of the time he gets thrown out. I'm averaging an OF assist about every other game, although Bob Meusel has not been tested. My arms are preventing about 5.5 bases advanced per series.

Thoughts? Significant or insignificant? I feel like it's fairly significant because these runners are going for third or home 95% of the time (the other would be trying to stretch a single to a double).

nomadbrad

Re: Anybody compile numbers on OF arm impact?

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 4:41 pm

Very significant.

Two questions.

1 - What cap are you playing at?
2 - What is your sample size....over how many games? 24 games? 80 games? 160 games?

Whoopycat

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 5:43 pm

80 mil

Sample size is teeny weeny. I've only remembered to do this a handful of times but the numbers have been fairly consistent when I have remembered. I've got tonights numbers ready, I'll report back.

freeman

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 7:50 pm

That seems a little high. Every time I look at assist totals the evidence is not there. Just looked at several leagues and outfield assists tend to bunch in the 30s and 40s. Occasionally somone will get into the 50s. Not only that...but the high totals dont necessarily correlate with having an outfield loaded with arms. I take it as as an article of faith it's significant ...but the evidence is lacking as far as assists go.

BUT inhibiting advancement would be big. But as you say you have to tediously keep track of your opponents advancements.

By the way, I'm only seeing on the high end 400 to 500 opps per year. So 3 opps per game on high end. I took averages for one league: 338 142 29. (2.08 opps/game, .88 adv, .18 assists/game)Thats 42.5% of time runners advanced, 8.5% of time thrown out and 50.5% no attempt. You can perhaps use that as a baseline to compare how your guys do.

Whoopycat

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 9:02 am

Played a singles team last night:
10 opportunities
1 advanced
3 outs :twisted:

I lost 2 of 3 on the road, but the 2 losses were 1 run games. I'd wager without the guns in OF I would've got blown out in those.

Whoopycat

PostSat Feb 06, 2021 1:40 pm

Last nights numbers: 6-1-1

Whoopycat

PostSun Feb 07, 2021 12:20 am

Tonight's numbers at home: 11-0-2

I won't bore you with more numbers, I think I've convinced myself of the impact. This OF tandem is a sniper unit.

PS - I also use Dihigo as my 2B so if Mookie goes down I have another (-5) arm to plug into the OF. Mays and Meusel are the bulletproof versions.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats