what the barreling fuck is going on with this offense?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

MaxPower

what the barreling fuck is going on with this offense?

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 4:45 am

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1617066

Has to be like a <10th percentile outcome right? I see that I've been facing a lot of lefties but most of my lefty hitters are pretty balanced, and it's not like the right-handed ones have been faring any better. Look at Fernandez!

Can anyone diagnose a problem apart from terrible luck?

nomadbrad

Re: what the barreling fuck is going on with this offense?

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 10:26 am

Other than your clever mastery of the English language you might consider that you spent 49% of your salary on 9 pitchers and they ONLY control about 35% of the rolls, thus the MEEK offensive effort.

There well may be other reasons, however, this is a good place to start:

1 - It has been suggested MANY times here on the boards, that one limit their $$ spent on pitching, to LESS than 40% of the total budget, in order to expect at least NORMAL offensive production.
2 - You selected a moderately favorable pitcher's ballpark.
3 - Will Clark's card consistently under performs and you spent a significant chunk of your meager offensive budget on him.

tmfw30

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 11:48 am

I'm sorry about your team but grateful for the new figure of speech you have added to my vocabulary!

STEVE F

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 11:53 am

Karma for Will Clark? I tried to get his autograph once, and the man was a total asshole! And I've met quite a few celebrities in my life.

MaxPower

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 9:37 pm

As a 9 year-old Will the Thrill was my favorite player! Sorry to hear he was unpleasant in person, and that his card consistently underperforms, although I confess I'm not clear on how the latter is possible...

MaxPower

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 9:44 pm

I appreciate the note on overspending on pitching, and agree with it in theory. But in practice I'm just not able to find value in middle class pitchers so all my teams end up looking more or less like this, i.e. Four Aces. But this is the only one so far (out of a dozen) where the offense stinks nearly this bad, even in a pitchers park. See also https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1617918 and https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1617628

Hittmens

PostWed Feb 03, 2021 9:36 am

I think you answered your own question. You have a mediocre offensive team in an 80m league same offense in 100m league becomes pathetic

boyer14

PostWed Feb 03, 2021 10:21 pm

You also have spent a fair amount of that "Hitters" money on defense with a "1" at each spot except 3B and RF - which are manned by a "2". Pitching and defense is mainly where most of the 100M went - not run production.

As noted by others - The 100M league allows other teams to spend quite a bit more on stud starting pitching than an 80M limit allows. Your OPS will be significantly lower in 100M.

The good news is that you are holding your own with the pitching and defense.

MaxPower

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 1:29 am

Hittmens wrote:I think you answered your own question. You have a mediocre offensive team in an 80m league same offense in 100m league becomes pathetic

Ehh not quite the same though. Similar to both but with Will Clark/Joe Morgan instead of Keith Hernandez/scrub. That Forbes team is actually spending only 42% of salary on hitters but is soundly outhitting the Safeco team spending 52% on hitters, in a tougher park no less.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats