2021 Hall of Fame voting

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

supertyphoon

2021 Hall of Fame voting

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 7:27 pm

FOURTEEN blank ballots submitted by BBWAA voters ...

Hey batter , hey batter ... A SWING and a MISS ...

Just like the (ahem) 2020 Golden Days and Early Era VETERANS COMMITTEE vote ...

nomadbrad

Re: 2021 Hall of Fame voting

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 6:06 pm

Unless the committee changes their minds on the use of ROIDS for Schilling, Bonds, Clemens, Manny Ramirez and Sosa I don't see anybody getting voted in next year either.

Let's face it, baseball has become a completely different game than the game we grew up with in the 1950's thru 1980's. Not many Hall of Famers on the horizon that measure up to the longevity and accolades of pre 1990 ballers, that are "clean".

lanier64

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 7:25 pm

OK I know I'll catch flak for this but what about Gary Sheffield? I mean he has 1676 RBIs, 1636 runs, 509 homers, 1475 walks. How many players in the Hall of Fame can match those numbers? Well a lot can't. Now Sheffield's slash line of .292/.393/.514 is not earth shattering but again it's better than a lot of people in the Hall. And I get it not every position player is in there for there bat some are in for primarily defense. But let's just compare Sheff to a recent inductee: Edgar Martinez. When he was elected I said WTF! Here is a guy who played less than a third of his games in the field because he was such an abysmal fielder. Martinez has a slash line of .312/.418/.515 OK better than Sheff but lets look at the other numbers. Sheffield has exactly 200 more homers (I realize he has more PAs) than Edgar, more than four hundred more RBIs, more than 400 more runs, and a little less than 400 more walks. I mean as far as I'm concerned I don't think Martinez is of deserving of the Hall of Fame. I put him in the same category as the Frankie Frisch Veterans Committee selections. I just think if you are going to elect Martinez then Sheffield should have come before him. IMHO

Whoopycat

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 9:26 pm

Schilling is linked to roids? That's the first I've heard of it. I thought he was getting left off due to his post-career comments.

I am the polar opposite politically of Curt Schilling, and I find many of his comments repulsive. But he should be in the HoF. 200+ wins in his era plus his postseason resume, he is worthy. I don't care what he has said, it should have no bearing on his Hall selection.

That said, I think Pete Rose should also be in the HoF. At least put him in before Bonds and Clemens.

I don't know how basketball and football avoid these controversies.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats