Thoughts on PETCO

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

SGTD

Thoughts on PETCO

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 2:42 pm

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1621053

I am using PETCO and players that I usually never use or have never tried so I am going to try BA, OBP, Bunting, H&R and SB with Speed and Defense. Not sure how this will turn out.

andycummings65

Re: Thoughts on PETCO

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 2:58 pm

SGTD wrote:https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1621053

I am using PETCO and players that I usually never use or have never tried so I am going to try BA, OBP, Bunting, H&R and SB with Speed and Defense. Not sure how this will turn out.

At 100m in Petco, that’s about 12-13m too much for a bullpen. Offense needs a lot of help, maybe a SP upgrade

FrankieT

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 3:45 pm

Yep. You will have far too much salary sitting the bench each day in the bullpen.
Need about at least 10M more efficiently used on your offense/every day players.
Nothing wrong with a speed/OBP approach, but you will need lots of hits and also need to have as much speed as you can up and down the order, not just a few guys so you can keep the Very Aggressive run setting for every game and not get stuck with dead innings when some guys get thrown out alot. Another approach is guys with natural XBH (ie guys like Delahanty et al) if you don't want strictly roadrunners. But it really depends on the competition. As in, what OF arms and SB prevention they have and what parks.

For your pitching staff, I would suggest either go light on starters and heavy relievers or heavy starters and light relievers. This will free up money for your offense and takes advantage of your park. I doubt you will find anyone disagreeing with andycummings and if anyone thinks you should spend $50+M on pitching for a $100M Petco team, I'd be surprised. Seems a guarantee it is far too much and as is right now--would not be a fun season. Good luck!

coachprbb

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 4:34 pm

I have come to find that when these guys give advice it is best to pay attention, they know their stuff.

Guynick

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 4:51 pm

Just won an $80M title in Petco — led the league in runs scored and against. However you structure the roster, the key is to pair pitchers who are helped by the park with hitters who aren’t hurt.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1608831

The Last Druid

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 5:13 pm

I can't ever recall using Petco at any cap. However, I would say that egvrich is the most well versed in the intricacies of putting together a viable team in that run negating environment. I'm pretty sure he will weigh in on this topic once he sees it, and suggest paying close attention to what he says.

FrankieT

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 6:04 pm

FWIW...TLD is like the EF Hutton commercial from years ago...and he highlights an important point--context is everything, even with advice...so YMMV

My limited experience in Petco: 5 teams...4 playoffs...1 title...worst record 87-75...best record 102-60

tmfw30

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 6:48 pm

For me, the focus in Petco is on non-home run extra base hits, full stop. If my team doesn't lead the league in both doubles and triples, then I'm doing something wrong.

DOHowser1

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 7:40 pm

I definitely do not pretend to be anything close to an expert......but I do agree with most of previous posts, from really good managers. Your bullpen is way over budget. Love the "88" Eck card, and I would begin by working around that card in your bullpen. Good luck.

Doug

kev

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 12:58 pm

I am very much in agreement with DOHower1 and its greatly beneficial to listen to attempt to stand on the shoulder of giants vs pretending you know better. I really like sharing/reviewing other teams and seeing what worked and didn't. I do understand there are 'trade secrets' by some so its trying to read the tea leaves in their team/league.

I have tried Petco and the strategy is just not as straight forward as Wrigley or Navin park. And what ever approach you take, the road trips can be killer. I am very mush still learning SOM but have one experiment out there that is way too early with Petco.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1616963

I figured that in a park like that you need to have clutch hitters as when opportunities arise, you need to capitalize on them (or at least not have those singles turned into outs). could not fit in same Thompson (sad). I like FrankieT comments that double and triples are key as they are not subject to park factors (nor are clutch hits). I think I am punching out of weight here and should return to normal.

One thing that should note- if you go Petco, there is a hope that those other 11 ball parks are not all HR parks otherwise its just an uphill climb.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats