"Super Reliever Phenomenon"

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Radagast Brown

"Super Reliever Phenomenon"

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 9:27 pm

It's really hard to believe they tried to fix the supposed super reliever and used so little common sense.

Because of a few whiners, we have less control over our bullpens than ever.

They went from allowing relievers to appear in 12 different roles to two different roles? And no one sees a problem with that??? How many relievers in real life can only appear in two different situations?

What they should have done is forced us to carry a minimum of 14 pitchers and maybe limited pitchers to four or five roles.

Again they went from 12 roles to 2 roles. And people/ someone actually thought this was a good idea???

It makes me angry how little common sense was used.

I actually heard a manager suggest leaving ALL ROLES BLANK FOR BEST RESULTS.

And oh by the way, R1s can still pitch 170+ innings, you just don't control any of it ANYMORE. GREAT JOB GUYS.

I want to know who thought giving up ALL CONTROL of the pen was worth it to not even stop super relievers?

Also who thought going from 12 roles to 2 roles was a good compromise?

Also if a modicum of bullpen realism is the goal, WHICH MLB team made it through a 162 game season with less than 14 pitchers over the last two decades?

And which MLB RP only pitched in two roles for an entire season?

And who thought going from 12 to 2 was a good compromise instead of say 12 to 4 or 5?

Is it really that hard for them to use just a little common sense?

Radagast Brown

Re: "Super Reliever Phenomenon"

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 9:39 pm

Meanwhile no one seems to have a problem with 100 HR seasons or starters pitching 350 innings.

N Texas Widowmakers

Re: "Super Reliever Phenomenon"

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 4:09 pm

All they had to do to fix the super reliever issue was to change Dale Murray from F4 to F2 or F1. Perhaps Sutter and Burke too.

I agree with almost all of the problems that you have identified except the 14 pitcher rule.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats