Circle of Life League - Full

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Davesodu

Re: Circle of Life League - Full

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 11:30 am

pollyglace wrote:After reading some of the pros and cons of this concept I realize why I never even get a sniff in these leagues...I've been researching which birth years will yield me my most favorite Blue Jays from the mid-late 80's :D

And I am hoping to get my birth year. Maybe I will be 11th instead of 12th.

ggyuppie

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 12:00 pm

The string is in!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=648871

Here is the Round 1 (birth year) order:

1. Doyerwear
2. cwitkowski
3. ggyuppie
4. tallguy747
5. DrLanglo
6. BMilner
7. Pollyglace
8. MrBaseballworld
9. Jabuending
10. Davesodu
11. Jmtosi
12. drtripleb

Rounds two (death year) and three (RP) order is reverse of above
Round four (stadiums) reverts back to the order of round one

I will start a new thread in Individual League Chat for the draft etc

jmtosi

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 8:37 pm

One idea is if you have a credit or just simply willing to pay in advance, start your team and use it to pretend draft your team. The real struggle isn't finding a birth year/death year with great players, it's finding a year with enough carded cheap players to stay under the salary cap.....

I did this just now with my "favorite year" and then saw my draft order....I think I'll need to come up with some backups :(
Jay M. Commissioner of The Original Staten Island roto league

thetallguy747

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 12:08 pm

Yes, I don't think the problem will be nabbing a few great players; with an $85M cap the problem will be finding a sufficient number of "good enough" players!

Denorien

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 12:17 pm

thetallguy747 wrote:Yes, I don't think the problem will be nabbing a few great players; with an $85M cap the problem will be finding a sufficient number of "good enough" players!

Even though I dropped, I am still watching this in ILC because it was a compelling theme to me. While, I did find some ways to filter / sort on birth and death year in Stathead. I gave up trying to merge lists back to the ATG9 xls.

I am curious to see how managers will achieve ggyuppie's, "When you announce your birth year selection, please include in your post a list all the carded players you acquire (first and last name, taking care RE spelling), and organized into three groups: (1) Pitchers who can start (2) Pitchers who can only relieve (3) Position players."

jmtosi

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 12:36 pm

Denorien wrote:
thetallguy747 wrote:Yes, I don't think the problem will be nabbing a few great players; with an $85M cap the problem will be finding a sufficient number of "good enough" players!

Even though I dropped, I am still watching this in ILC because it was a compelling theme to me. While, I did find some ways to filter / sort on birth and death year in Stathead. I gave up trying to merge lists back to the ATG9 xls.

I am curious to see how managers will achieve ggyuppie's, "When you announce your birth year selection, please include in your post a list all the carded players you acquire (first and last name, taking care RE spelling), and organized into three groups: (1) Pitchers who can start (2) Pitchers who can only relieve (3) Position players."

I'm not sure how that's feasible either but can only assume we will list the players we either plan on keeping or dangling as trade bait. It can also work that if while perusing ATG9, I see a cheapie that I want and discover they are "owned" I can then bring to their attention.

thetallguy747

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 5:34 pm

I'm not sure how that's feasible either but can only assume we will list the players we either plan on keeping or dangling as trade bait.

Maybe I read that rule the wrong way. I assumed that what the commish meant was we simply had to list all the players our year brings under our "potential" control. I hadn't even thought of it any other way. But maybe I'm mistaken. Please clarify Glenn?!!

jmtosi

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 5:51 pm

No you're reading it right but to Denorien's point, its no small feat to list EVERY player born in your year that is carded since no one has been able to figure out an easy way to combine the data lists.

ggyuppie

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 7:04 pm

Kevin, as Jay said, you had it right from the get go.

As has been well chronicled here, the process of discovering all the carded players belonging to a given birth year must be a manual one and it's a bit tedious, but that's only a problem if you are time-constrained or don't enjoy the work.

Most of the guys in this league have at least a fair amount of experience playing ATG leagues and for them, when they scroll down a list of players born in a given year on baseball reference, some names will surely jump out at them as being players they've used in ATG or considered using previously. Nonetheless, everybody will want/need to double check each of the listed players with positive career WAR from any year under serious consideration against the ATG9 database. I have been doing that in the card set browser, and then as Jay suggested, did it right on the site while building a prospective/experimental team with a year I will likely choose if it is available when I pick.

In order to build a 26 man team under $85MM, you're going to need to identify most if not all the fringey players at your disposal, and what I am asking is that once you do that, you share a full list so that everybody knows which players are eligible for the league without having to each go through the exercise 12 times.

Once you turn your focus to a single year, it is not difficult to find all or nearly all the possibilities. I am 99% sure I have found every carded player for my prospective birth year. And FWIW, while it probably isn't the case universally, I was able to build a full 26 man roster under the cap with just the birth year I chose. I also gained a sense for the couple/few complementary pieces I would try to get with the death year and/or through trading.

One other takeaway I will share is that in order to stay under $85MM I had to use the cheapest available card for several of the top guys of that year. That got me thinking that it would be interesting to do multiple builds with the same group of players at different (progressively higher) caps. If everyone feels the same way that is something we can explore after we get going.

Davesodu

PostWed Nov 25, 2020 12:05 pm

Does doyerwear know he is up? It is fine taking a while to create a team with this format as long as he knows and is working on it.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats