Changes in ATG9 ???

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

jet40

Re: Changes in ATG9 ???

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 7:40 pm

djmacb wrote:
jet40 wrote:I pretty much do the same as Whoopycat.

The powers that be listened to the complaints of Dale Murray pitching 300+ innings. They took action and limited the amount of roles one reliever could have. Problem solved.

Well OK, that's an opinion. Another opinion is the dramatic price increase along with draconian changes to bullpen management was a mistake.

I don't want to be forced into Whoopycat's strategy to claim bullpen management success - for all intents and purposes four studs in a pitchers park against weak competition, and from what I can see its his only completed ATG9 team. I've used the four man bullpen successfully through ATG 8 in Minute Maid, Shea, Forbes '57, etc., not just in pitchers parks. I have yet to see any evidence that will work in ATG9. By the way, with over 200 ATG teams, I've never come anywhere near 300 innings for a reliever - I voted to limit their innings - however, in this case the cure is worse than the disease.

Nowhere did I say I agreed with the reliever price increases. I actually think they were a bit extreme.
What I did say was a lot of people complained about 'Super relievers' and they found a way to curtail it.

The Last Druid

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 7:51 pm

I have a good deal of respect for the last four folks who posted on this thread. I have always enjoyed Whoopycat's posts since ATG 2 and have generally agreed with nearly all of them. The other three posters are all elite managers, among the best the community has to offer.

That said, of the opinions expressed in this thread I find djmacb's assessment most resonates with my views on the bullpen changes. Yes, one of the rationales of the bullpen rules changes was to sharply curtail any attempts at the super-reliever strategy. Clearly that has been accomplished, in spades. But the perhaps unintended consequences of the bullpen changes have been enormous. Djmacb may have somewhat exaggerated the primacy of the Four Aces strategy but his point is well-taken. All the work that Bernie Hou, Nev and others put into improving bullpen functionality has been eviscerated by the rule changes. Good relievers, not to mention the former super-relievers, are now cost prohibitive at 100M or less. Even worse, the ability to exert even a semblance of control over one's bullpen has been severely compromised and the playability of the game itself, also compromised.

My take on the rule changes is that they have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. We have been forced back into pre- WWII baseball and earlier, where relievers were relievers because they weren't good enough to start.

I proposed a simple solution to the bullpen "fixes" on another recent thread.

Perhaps someone should start a poll. SOM listened to the poll results regarding the default player card set for ATG 9. Maybe they will listen again if a consensus emerges among the community.

FrankieT

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 9:41 pm

The Last Druid wrote:I have a good deal of respect for the last four folks who posted on this thread. [...] The other three posters are all elite managers, among the best the community has to offer.

That said, of the opinions expressed in this thread I find djmacb's assessment most resonates with my views on the bullpen changes. [...] All the work that Bernie Hou, Nev and others put into improving bullpen functionality has been eviscerated by the rule changes.[...]

My take on the rule changes is that they have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. We have been forced back into pre- WWII baseball and earlier, where relievers were relievers because they weren't good enough to start.

[...].

Bumpity Bump...what the last of the Druids said

Valen

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 12:42 am

Did not expect to see this little question go to 4 pages. I do see one thing that has not changed. A lot of you think this through a lot deeper than I tend to. But then that is why I enjoy reading what yall write.

Valen

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 1:43 pm

Several have given good advice which I will keep in mind. But for me these days the fun is not in the winning though I will take the win. :D I mostly do not want to lose because of things I am not aware of or fail to take advantage of new features.

I suppose it shows how long I was away that I somehow expected Strat to have a page somewhere detailing the changes/improvements.

Valen

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 1:48 pm

One more question: Is there a downloadable spreadsheet of player adds so I can scan all the additions since my last participation.

tmfw30

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 2:39 pm

FrankieT wrote:
The Last Druid wrote:I have a good deal of respect for the last four folks who posted on this thread. [...] The other three posters are all elite managers, among the best the community has to offer.

That said, of the opinions expressed in this thread I find djmacb's assessment most resonates with my views on the bullpen changes. [...] All the work that Bernie Hou, Nev and others put into improving bullpen functionality has been eviscerated by the rule changes.[...]

[...].

Bumpity Bump...what the last of the Druids said

Cosign!

hackra

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 3:34 pm

Valen wrote:One more question: Is there a downloadable spreadsheet of player adds so I can scan all the additions since my last participation.

Download ATG 9 player list as Excel spreadsheet
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/img/xls_s ... _atg9.xlsx

Valen

PostTue Oct 20, 2020 3:33 pm

Thanks Hackra. Going to be spending some time looking that over. I already noticed catcher removed from Boudreau. I always avoided using him at SS because that made my 2 catchers more injury prone and I did not want to be risking Boudreau spending significant time at catcher. That was a t way loss. Bad catcher and losing starting shortstop.

Roosky

PostTue Oct 20, 2020 3:38 pm

Valen wrote:Thanks Hackra. Going to be spending some time looking that over. I already noticed catcher removed from Boudreau. I always avoided using him at SS because that made my 2 catchers more injury prone and I did not want to be risking Boudreau spending significant time at catcher. That was a t way loss. Bad catcher and losing starting shortstop.

I always felt his +5 arm was unrealistic. He was a short stop, you know he did not have a noodle for an arm.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats