Bullpen/Pitcher Settings

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

ploughboy1526

Bullpen/Pitcher Settings

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 11:10 am

Will HAL ignore bullpen roles and keep a pitcher in who has been set for "don't relieve B4 FO" until he reaches FO?

Thanks.

andycummings65

Re: Bullpen/Pitcher Settings

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 12:33 pm

ploughboy1526 wrote:Will HAL ignore bullpen roles and keep a pitcher in who has been set for "don't relieve B4 FO" until he reaches FO?

Thanks.

That is the goal with the settings you've described. Whether this always occurs, I don't know. I've never set a pitcher for don't relieve before F0.

jjii66

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 1:58 pm

I'm 99% sure that the "don't relieve b4" setting trumps all other settings, so I would say yes, the bullpen roles will be ignored. However, in a non-DH league, HAL will sometimes pinch-hit for him before he's at F0.

ploughboy1526

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 6:41 pm

jjii66 wrote:I'm 99% sure that the "don't relieve b4" setting trumps all other settings, so I would say yes, the bullpen roles will be ignored. However, in a non-DH league, HAL will sometimes pinch-hit for him before he's at F0.

Good point. Yes, HAL will definitely pull such for a pitch hitter in non-DH.

ploughboy1526

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 6:44 pm

andycummings65 wrote:
ploughboy1526 wrote:Will HAL ignore bullpen roles and keep a pitcher in who has been set for "don't relieve B4 FO" until he reaches FO?

Thanks.

That is the goal with the settings you've described. Whether this always occurs, I don't know. I've never set a pitcher for don't relieve before F0.

I almost always use the setting, and it seems that way from my reviews (in DH leagues), which hasn't been exhaustive so I was looking for the experience of others.

Thanks.

bkeat23

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 9:02 pm

Beware the F0 setting in the new BP logic.
Had 3 of 4 SP set to F0. They were getting rocked, at times facing 2-3 hitters at F0. Back to back to back HRs one time.
This may not be a change with the BP.

What changed was when I took off "Don't relieve before" and went to slow hook, they stayed thru F0. Left both quick and slow unchecked with the team set to normal relief team BP, still pitched thru F0. Had to go to team setting conservative to get them out before F0.

Sent an email to Strat with links to a few games, no reply.

egvrich

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 7:04 am

Agree with most of the comments in general. I too believe "Don't reliever before F#" is the top setting with the exception being non-DH leagues when they will get pinch hit for late in the game if losing.

Try F# but quick hook, that usually means the pitcher will be removed almost immediately if they reach that particular F Setting.

BTW ... Not a fan of F0, at that point the horses have already left the barn.

FrankieT

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 7:32 am

Yes wow. It never occurred to me that I'd want any pitcher in at F0, when you game it out. If it were just the standard SINGLE** every F# along the way, maybe that's different.

ploughboy1526

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 9:14 am

Thanks for all the input.

I use "don't relieve B4 FO" almost all the time. It's a no brainer when you go with 4 stud starters and a bullpen of the cheapest arms to round out the required 9 pitchers for a staff. Of course, we don't have much insight into what happens when a pitcher hits FO - other than the fact that more rolls go to the hitters' card. But rolls still go onto the card of the stud, whose card readings don't change. I've look at the readings at FO and you still get a good number on the pitchers' card, let's say 30 or 35% compared to the 50% or so with more gas in the tank. So you get, say, Maddux or Walsh with their great cards (albeit with an unknown slant towards the hitter on the rolls) against a cheap bullpen arm . . again, a no brainer in my book.

And with relievers, it's a similar situation. I'd rather have Sutter or whomever at a slight roll disadvantage with their great card versus a cheaper, albeit well-rested, arm.

And the less latitude you give HAL to make moves - the purpose of this post was to see how locked in HAL is when your relief pitcher is set at "don't relieve B4 FO" - you (rather than HAL) have control, and not the erratic one.

FrankieT

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 12:02 pm

Interesting take.

True enough I don't think anyone knows the "fatigue function" that is applied between F9 and F0. I don't even know if it is clear in the online version if it is all the @ symbols applicable at F8 on down with progressively extreme results to F0, or if it is all result possibilities but only some of the @ symbols with increasing splits for pitcher/hitter card, or if the fatigue system eventually becomes more than just, say the 11 @results on one side of a Maddux card and is almost all pitcher lookups getting reversed by that point.

What I can share anecdotally is I have seen two teams' seasonal data that had overused relief-only pitchers continually coming in at F0 and pitching through F0 every outing. Their splits were much worse than just accounting for @symbol rolls--it was in some long stretches only hitter card splits, which bounced back toward expected coin flips as roster/settings changes were made.

So with that, to each their own. At low caps maybe it is worth it. And maybe it adds an element of uncertainty the same way a manager has to make limited information decisions on whether his pitcher is out of gas. Either way, good luck and if you note any trends, dare to share them!
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats