Infield In

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

jgmadigan

Infield In

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 6:03 pm

It seems like I've had a lot of situations in close games in the 4th inning and later where I have the infield in with less than 2 outs and the runner on 3rd scores on a groundball out. See below example. I have the infield in setting for the 4th inning. In both the bottom of the 4th and the bottom of the 5th, the runner on 3rd scores with less than 2 outs on a groundball. Shouldn't the infield in be preventing that? Am I missing something?
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/450490/257

jfreeman

Re: Infield In

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 11:33 am

jgmadigan wrote:It seems like I've had a lot of situations in close games in the 4th inning and later where I have the infield in with less than 2 outs and the runner on 3rd scores on a groundball out. See below example. I have the infield in setting for the 4th inning. In both the bottom of the 4th and the bottom of the 5th, the runner on 3rd scores with less than 2 outs on a groundball. Shouldn't the infield in be preventing that? Am I missing something?
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/450490/257

Superadvanced rules show that a gb(c) with bases loaded should result in lead runner out with infield in. Infield back will result in run scoring.

PATRICKCASSIDY

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 12:38 pm

jpfreeman:
Superadvanced rules show that a gb(c) with bases loaded should result in lead runner out with infield in. Infield back will result in run scoring.

sorry, I am not understanding that as an explanation related to the root question that started the thread

paul8210

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 1:45 pm

From the help screen: "This setting dictates the earliest inning of a game you would bring your infield in in appropriate situations."

I'm going to say that "appropriate situations" is the operative term. I'm guessing "infield in" doesn't mean the infield is in 100% of the time whenever a runner is on third. Maybe, the infield is in 83% of the time in the situation presented. Who knows?

Had the infield been in then Gwynn's groundball to first base in the bottom of the fifth would not have resulted in a run scored when the super advanced table 3 infield in chart is reviewed (scroll about halfway down to find the infield in chart)
https://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/bt ... mrules.htm

jfreeman

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 5:32 pm

PATRICKCASSIDY wrote:jpfreeman:

sorry, I am not understanding that as an explanation related to the root question that started the thread

If you look at the example from jgmadigan,in the 4th inning, batter rolls a 4-8 = gb(c) with the bases loaded. Run scores and batter is out.

cpugs22

PostSun Sep 20, 2020 4:20 pm

From my playing days, sometimes infield in equates to corners in, so you gbc to ss would allow the runner to score.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats