Oh how times have changed!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

lanier64

Oh how times have changed!

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 5:20 pm

So I was at this game 50 years ago with my dad and a friend. I was talking to my friend and we were trying to remember the details and the only thing we could agree on was that Gaylord Perry threw a complete game victory so I said no problem we'll look it up on Baseball Reference and I was in for a surprise. First of all note three things: The attendance (this was a Saturday afternoon), the playing time, and who got the game winning RBI (its in the scoring summary all the way at the bottom). Well you might see attendance that low in Miami on a weekday, but you'll never see a time to play a nine inning game like that again, and the person who got the game winning RBI will never get that opportunity in the bottom of the ninth.....or ever.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SFN/SFN197004110.shtml

STEVE F

Re: Oh how times have changed!

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 5:22 pm

I met Jim Merritt. He retired in Desert Hot Springs. Nice guy!

Mumford

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 8:55 pm

lanier64 wrote:So I was at this game 50 years ago with my dad and a friend. I was talking to my friend and we were trying to remember the details and the only thing we could agree on was that Gaylord Perry threw a complete game victory so I said no problem we'll look it up on Baseball Reference and I was in for a surprise. First of all note three things: The attendance (this was a Saturday afternoon), the playing time, and who got the game winning RBI (its in the scoring summary all the way at the bottom). Well you might see attendance that low in Miami on a weekday, but you'll never see a time to play a nine inning game like that again, and the person who got the game winning RBI will never get that opportunity in the bottom of the ninth.....or ever.

So Clyde King PH for Hal Lanier and let Gaylord bat. It paid off.

jgmadigan

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 7:51 pm

Mumford wrote:
lanier64 wrote:So I was at this game 50 years ago with my dad and a friend. I was talking to my friend and we were trying to remember the details and the only thing we could agree on was that Gaylord Perry threw a complete game victory so I said no problem we'll look it up on Baseball Reference and I was in for a surprise. First of all note three things: The attendance (this was a Saturday afternoon), the playing time, and who got the game winning RBI (its in the scoring summary all the way at the bottom). Well you might see attendance that low in Miami on a weekday, but you'll never see a time to play a nine inning game like that again, and the person who got the game winning RBI will never get that opportunity in the bottom of the ninth.....or ever.

So Clyde King PH for Hal Lanier and let Gaylord bat. It paid off.

Lanier couldn't have been happy with that.
So Perry bats in the bottom of the 9th with bases loaded...The Giants must have had a bunch of $.5M relievers (Strat-O $, not 1970 $).

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats