Injuries and the 600 AB+BB rule

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

YountFan

Re: Injuries and the 600 AB+BB rule

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 9:15 pm

You guy worry too much. If you do not like injuries then do not draft guy who can get injured.
Posted by the real YountFan

Outta Leftfield

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 10:54 am

YountFan wrote:You guy worry too much. If you do not like injuries then do not draft guy who can get injured.

There is much truth in what YountFan says. And as others have mentioned, injury risk is factored into a player's cost. Any change in the rules regarding injury risk would involve repricing the entire set. And we just did that with ATG9.

One BIG advantage of the current PA system is simplicity. You can look at a card, add up the AB & BB, and see at a glance whether a player has 600 or 680 PA, and you know right away how that will influence their injury level. Since HBP, SH, SF, etc are not shown on the card, if we get into the granularity of counting these as PA, we won't be able to just look at a card and infer the injury level. I would really miss that--and I'll bet a lot of other players would miss it too. I'll add that in any system with arbitrary cutoffs, somebody's going to miss the cut by one PA, no matter how many cutoffs there are. So adding more cutoffs won't eliminate that frustration.

The current system has a few kinks, but it works—in part because it's simple and relatively easy to understand. I don't see a compelling reason to mess with it.

RNMorton

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 7:54 am

I know I'm really really late to the party here, but anyway. I'm okay with the 600 AB+BB rule, it's a cliff at 599 but it is what it is. I have more problem with certain players who received "2" injury ratings, particularly catchers. I just recently wanted JT Realmuto on my team but couldn't stomach his 2 inj rating. He played 141 games with 568 AB+BB. Huh? Bill Dickey - 140 of 154 games, 603 AB+BB, inj 2. John Stearns, 155G, 590 AB+BB. Really? Thurman Munson, 154G 634 AB+BB. Some of these guys are players I would consider using but not at 2 inj. It's a little hard to reconcile with such notables as Tuck Stainback (15-40), Ernie Andres (15-41) and Joe Birmingham (10-41) - all inj 1, with a ton of other low game players. BTW, Birmingham has an unusually good hitting card and shouldn't even be in the Strato mix with his 10 GP. Hard to figure, I doubt there's any real explanation for this one.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats