Say What..

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

freeman

Re: no longer funny...thread HIJACKED start ur own post

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 9:44 pm

Given the lack of posts...probably any discussion should be encouraged. I dont think most of the time topics are intentionally hijacked, but someone will post something that contains a political stance in some way (mixed baseball/politics) and that invites counterviews. I think we all survived the experience...

Palmtana

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 10:50 pm

freeman wrote:Given the lack of posts...probably any discussion should be encouraged.

How about starting a thread or two related to Strat.

freeman wrote:I dont think most of the time topics are intentionally hijacked, but someone will post something that contains a political stance in some way (mixed baseball/politics) and that invites counterviews.

It's not incumbent on you and others to respond.

freeman wrote:I think we all survived the experience...

And hopefully it will be the last such experience. From the Forum Rules:

1. This forum is for healthy discussion about Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online only.

I didn't lock other threads such as this until there was a personal attack by one member towards another.
This one was headed that way until the Forum policed itself. Thank you to those who did so.

freeman

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 2:38 am

Well, given your stated criteria--discussion is for Strat topics ONLY--this whole topic should be verboten. You probably should ban all non-Strat topics--including this one--because they can spill over into politics, whereas Strat topics almost never do. But as moderator if youre going to allow such topics and intervene only when you think they are getting out of hand, then it is important that your political views not color how and why you intervene. That you intervene in an even-handed manner. And this does not feel even-handed. Nevetheless, I will strive to avoid political content.

Casey1150

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 7:29 am

I have seen a few teams and leagues with blatantly political names. I wish Strat would crack down on that.

Mumford

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 12:16 pm

Casey1150 wrote:I have seen a few teams and leagues with blatantly political names. I wish Strat would crack down on that.

Karens and Snowflakes will be the end of SOM

nels52

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 5:32 pm

I hope everyone is doing well. Diggin around again on SOM online and agree with most all of the varied sentiments here.

Mostly, I'm glad to see the game and its community still aspiring, though troubled by our totally regular difficulty in fitting inside narrow contours----doesn't really nurture the game, but yet that's the same decree as those who want no "politics" or anything diverging from strat. bad for business.

I referenced agreeing with "most all of the varied sentiments here" and that's to provide cover for the ways you or I could oppose the artifact I leave here. To a fault, I blend one topic into another and often strive to dig deeper into a topic, so enjoyed the dangerous talks here. Firmly believe in how full latitude brings creativity/value---but as individuals, let alone game message boards, there are lines.

This thread, although bereft of its original cool stuff Dr. Freeze left here, (will pm) certainly includes some great thoughts done in good faith, which I enjoyed reading more deeply. Dr. Freeze is one of the most quality players here whose name is burnt into my SOM brain. Good battles. A user I wanna hear. I don't see the "hijacking" of this post as unforgivable though. Maybe its just my opinion, or our relative privilege/performance in the SOM community, but I'd kill for this level of participation in a post I started....I'm prolly off base, plus dont have context for what it originally was about! Hard to get traction/conversation at times on the boards, and they're our infinite-article-artifact forum we have. Other games might have a live chat feature where 100% of its activity happens----and washes away, with little board activity, so inverse.

Okay, that was a ton of boring setup sorry, but I thought what Chomsky, Freeman and what everyone said was compelling. Tough, maybe not preferred as the main discourse for SOM, but community brings conversation brings unscripted. With a forced script, I don't know what happens, probably less. Now I wanna hear the Anecdotes too!!!! I suppose starting own thread is reasonable and what I'll do now, but what happened happened. Dr. Freeze, could you repost the stuff? :)

Radagast Brown I will pm too, I hear ya and in my incomplete checkup on the talks, folks have dismissed you or vise-versa. Your consideration hasn't been met with a lot of empathy or a majority of support, and that affects things like anything else... I'm sorry. Racism is profound in something like 19th century baseball history, just as the development of "generation gaps" and head-spinningly deep modern developments have---not the same though.

As for "virtue signaling," it likely has deeply valid points but also has the ominous downside or impression of curbing "virtuous" behaviour. Generalizations about generalizations. Like any common word (let alone a partisan one) it absolutely is applied wrongly at times and can have negative consequences-----even if its WHOLLY in the right. Like, one of the earliest uses of the term "social justice" is John Snow in 1854 associating cholera outbreaks with wells water usage ! ! ! Like, in their correct form, whoever is judge of that, social justice is an absolute good, right? Seems like threading the needle to suppose another's intents, through the filters of media, difficulties of communication, attribution and being one of billions of people etc. A similar interpretation of intent leads many to think people who decry it and "unity" moments in KC are anti anti-racist. Or telling 50+% of a hurt group they're wrong for feeling that way. Uhhh, threading the needle. My virtue-signaling is details. Either I actually care, or just want to please HAL :D

I don't mean to be condescending or definitive, but do see such categories or terms as locking us out from actually considering, or even worse--acting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Snow

Valen

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 6:47 pm

With minimum MLB salary over half a mil I doubt there are many who are not millionaires. But regardless too many people are still carrying a grudge over what happened before they were born. At some point people gotta forgive the past and start building on the progress we have made. MLB is fully integrated now and anyone with the talent to make it has an equal chance.

PATRICKCASSIDY

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 12:41 pm

so, none of you guys want to hear about AMWAY's amazing line of products?

RiggoDrill

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 2:25 pm

PATRICKCASSIDY wrote:so, none of you guys want to hear about AMWAY's amazing line of products?

:lol: ;)

coachprbb

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 4:04 pm

AMWAY still exists? For the longest time I had a blue glass racing car bottle that was my dad's aftershave lotion or something like that...from AMWAY
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats