Say What..

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Radagast Brown

Re: Use to love this game...Funny story

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 1:34 pm

If you think there's something controversial about an athlete having an "End Racism" message than you have serious issues. Funny how right wing trolls only think free speech applies to them.

coachprbb

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 1:58 pm

Virtual signalling is what he meant....as for trolling...well

FrankieT

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 4:31 pm

No worries, the ignore list works splendidly in at least one case...and that's the only case needed

"Virtue signalling is a pejorative neologism for the conspicuous and disingenuous expression of moral values with the intent to enhance one's own image."

I think that sums it up. In basic terms, pearl-clutching does the trick too.

freeman

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 5:43 pm

I respect you Frankie T. I can tell from your posts you're a good guy. (And youre better at Strat than I am...) I guess I just disagree a bit here. Black star athletes are one of the few beneficiaries of an exploitive system. The chances of a high school athlete becoming a college athlete are small, let alone a pro athlete. Yet there is an enormous amount of effort directed towards achieving those almost impossible dreams. Meanwhile, most black people in America struggle economically. I think it would be morally repugnant for a black athlete to remain silent at a time like this.

I really appreciate LeBron James' all-around team-oriented game--I cant tell you how much I detested Kobe Bryant's me, me, me game which made so many people think he was a great player rather than a selfish ballhog whose main ability was proficiency at making low-efficiency jump-shots--but I was very disappointed when he put his own economic gain from basketball in China instead of backing the Rockets' owner in criticizing China over human rights. (I'll say this: it's important when you want others to be empathetic to your suffering that you dont to be deaf to theirs and I think Lebron dropped the ball there).

He certainly has had a voice with regard to recent events and I think it was incumbent on him to do so. But I think his credibility on human rights took a hit when he appropriately (in my view) voiced concern over black human rights...but ignored asian ones. Brother...African-Americans only represent 14% of the population and youre going to need allies from communites that are not directed affected by police brutality but are willing to be convinced about the justice of your cause. But you hurt your credibility when you ignored human rights in China in order to make a few bucks...

Yes, athletes should choose their causes carefully. But they have every right to express their opinions on major issues of the day and, in certain cases, have the responsibility to do so. In my opinion.

Chompsky

Re: no longer funny...thread HIJACKED

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 12:01 pm

I tend to agree with Freeman, who puts it so well! And with Radagast Brown's ideas. Even though he is jerky in how he puts them forward. I agree sports stars should be able to express solidarity with segments of our society that are downtrodden. Shouldn't we all. When I went to seminary, this love of the dispossessed and the despised was fairly central.

But I also agree with Frankie to a point. But I may run with it in a different direction. When Colin did it, or Bruce Maxwell, they paid a price. There was a purity to it. Now, who knows what it means? On the positive side it could be a mini-breakthrough that lots of folks are signalling their affection for their brothers and sisters. And as Freeman says, not a time to be silent. Ok. good.

On the downside, I am a cynical bastard and I wonder if is, at least for some, "virtue signalling" that Frankie suggests. Where were they when Bruce Maxwell stood alone? For all I know it is a calculation by some that they think helps them get their next Nike deal, or whatever. Or, more mundane, just an attempt to fit in and not offend (not a bad sentiment!).

Mostly I am all for it. You know, peace, love, harmony, equality. In religious terms--the beloved community. But I also wonder. You could say I am conflicted. Maybe even afflicted.

Ok, good conversation folks. ;-) Chompsky

nomadbrad

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 1:48 pm

Chompsky wrote:
Ok, good conversation folks. ;-) Chompsky

Gentlemen, you realize that you completely HIJACKED dr.freeze's post....Your conversation should have taken place on a separate POST.....NOT cool to HIJACK a post with a topic that has nothing alligned with the original.

I think it would be a great idea for those that want to integrate politics into SOM to start original posts with that topic and NOT HIJACK others' posts.

Some of you might consider an apology to Dr. Freeze

tkl33

Re: no longer funny...thread HIJACKED start ur own post

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 2:46 pm

Gentlemen, you realize that you completely HIJACKED dr.freeze's post....Your conversation should have taken place on a separate POST.....NOT cool to HIJACK a post with a topic that has nothing alligned with the original.

I think it would be a great idea for those that want to integrate politics into SOM to start original posts with that topic and NOT HIJACK others' posts.

I agree 100%

andycummings65

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 4:07 pm

nomadbrad@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Better idea: How about we DON'T integrate politics into SOM AT ALL. There are PLENTY of platforms for that.
I prefer to stick to Strat. I am certain that we all as individuals in this community fall all over the political spectrum; some of my best friends on here probably think differently than I do on many subjects, political and otherwise. It's nice to have friendships and acquaintances built around this community and this game, despite and in spite of differences we may have in other arenas.

Hittmens

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 4:26 pm

andycummings65 wrote:

Better idea: How about we DON'T integrate politics into SOM AT ALL. There are PLENTY of platforms for that.
I prefer to stick to Strat. I am certain that we all as individuals in this community fall all over the political spectrum; some of my best friends on here probably think differently than I do on many subjects, political and otherwise. It's nice to have friendships and acquaintances built around this community and this game, despite and in spite of differences we may have in other arenas.

Well said Andy lets stick to Strat

Tlew13

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 8:17 pm

andycummings65 wrote:

I prefer to stick to Strat. I am certain that we all as individuals in this community fall all over the political spectrum; some of my best friends on here probably think differently than I do on many subjects, political and otherwise. It's nice to have friendships and acquaintances built around this community and this game, despite and in spite of differences we may have in other arenas

Mr Cummings, I don’t know you, but played in a few leagues with you. I now have a high level of respect for you. Agree 100% with your comments. Politics have ruined real sports for me, so would like to keep it out of STRAT. Thanks for the post!
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats