Say What..

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

drfreeze49

Say What..

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 5:39 pm

Hey where did u go
Last edited by drfreeze49 on Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:34 am, edited 6 times in total.

kenhutchings

Re: Use to love this game...Funny story

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 2:22 pm

Funny story, thanks for sharing! :)

It so happens that I know a distant cousin of Don Drysdale, and I love this story about him.

As many baseball historians are aware, Sandy Koufax would not pitch the first game of the 1965 World Series because it fell on Yom Kippur. So Drysdale ended up getting the start.

He was not effective that game, and when Alston came out to the mound to pull him, Drysdale remarked "I bet you wish I was Jewish, too."

drfreeze49

No Longer funny HIJACKED

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 3:08 pm

No more
Last edited by drfreeze49 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

freeman

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 5:15 pm

It's kind of interesting that Hank Aguirre struck only only 4.3 batters per nine innings (31ks in 63 innings) that year and Ted Williams struck out only 39 times in 503 PA and yet...

freeman

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 5:19 pm

Ted Williams probably remembered every time he struck out--it was so rare-- and perhaps had a little extra incentive the next time he faced that pitcher and then on top of that the kid asked him to sign the damn ball...

FrankieT

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 6:34 am

nice drfreeze!...love those anecdotes. For whatever reasons, I'm certain we don't hear those types of stories anymore about the modern game. Now the best you get is millionaires who virtue signal or send code through trash cans. I'm just not interested in hearing about cause du jour from millionaire athletes.

When you compare the latest losses (Watson, TFernandez, Kaline, Brock, Seaver, et al) it seems like it's the last vestiges of a different game that will never be again.

bkeat23

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 10:57 pm

I got this 2nd hand from a co-worker that went to BoSox spring training many years ago.
Ted Williams was helping hitters in some form, couldn't move well, had a cane. He's standing at the cage, kid is struggling. Kid comes back, nods while Ted imparts knowledge. This happens twice more, Ted gets animated and yells at the kid...
"WTF do you mean you can't see the seams"
Legs not working well enough to walk steadily without assistance, probably couldn't swing a bat, but could still recognize the seams on the ball.

ggyuppie

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 12:32 pm

FrankieT wrote:nice drfreeze!...love those anecdotes. For whatever reasons, I'm certain we don't hear those types of stories anymore about the modern game. Now the best you get is millionaires who virtue signal or send code through trash cans. I'm just not interested in hearing about cause du jour from millionaire athletes.

When you compare the latest losses (Watson, TFernandez, Kaline, Brock, Seaver, et al) it seems like it's the last vestiges of a different game that will never be again.

Players have had to fight for years to gain a more even footing with owners and I don’t begrudge them for getting their pie slice. This season they’ve been “miking up” players during some telecasts and just like decades ago, the game today has some great guys and some not so great. Freddie Freeman, Charlie Blackmon, Mark Canha are a few I’ve seen that were very engaging in that context. This one is classic.

https://youtu.be/JPpVdMDez5U

Radagast Brown

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 1:28 pm

"Millionaire athletes"- First of all they are not all millionaires. Secondly, do they become bad people, or lose their right to an opinion the minute they make a million dollars? That sounds an awful lot like a class warfare argument. You don't have a problem with free market Capitalism,do you???

" Virtue Signaling "- Now this one is a real head scratcher of a term. What does it mean? If I make it known I do not support bullies and racism is that virtue signaling?? Because my minister calls it being a neighborly Christian. So I am really confused about this " virtue signaling ". It sounds like an attempt to silence people who are sticking up for the oppressed or less fortunate.

Radagast Brown

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 1:30 pm

By the way it sounds like Ted Williams was being a jerk and a soar winner, to someone who looked up to him.. But at least he wasn't making a million dollars or "virtue signaling" , whatever that is.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats