Are OF assists dead?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

freeman

Re: Are OF assists dead?

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 6:51 pm

Here is a listing of top ten assist leaders by year:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/lead ... _ten.shtml

Sometimes the guy with a cannon wins...sometime the guy with the pea shooter does.

The Last Druid

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 7:11 am

I believe that Colavito at his prime had a stronger arm than Clemente, just not as accurate. Growing up, playing baseball the most fun for me was defense. I loved playing third base because of the quick reflexes required plus the requisite strong, accurate throwing arm. You still get to see good arms in action at that position, although to me the most exciting play in baseball is an outfielder on the warning truck launching a direct missile to home plate, throwing out a runner attempting to score. I often watch You tube videos of great throws to recapture the thrill.

BruceF

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 10:59 am

Billy Bean.

labratory

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 5:19 pm

I wonder how the cutoff man factors into this. If the runner is thrown out 8-4-2, who gets the assist?
The second baseman or SS is really important in many plays at the plate.

bkeat23

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 8:47 pm

labratory wrote:I wonder how the cutoff man factors into this. If the runner is thrown out 8-4-2, who gets the assist?

2 assists on that play.

bkeat23

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 8:47 pm

labratory wrote:I wonder how the cutoff man factors into this. If the runner is thrown out 8-4-2, who gets the assist?

2 assists on that play.

labratory

PostSat Jul 04, 2020 8:03 pm

2 assists makes sense on a throw from deep center to the cutoff to the plate.
Does the logic continue indefinitely?
For example a batter is in a rundown and the play goes 6-5-4-5-8-6, do they all get assists? And two for the third baseman?

bkeat23

PostSat Jul 04, 2020 8:56 pm

labratory wrote:2 assists makes sense on a throw from deep center to the cutoff to the plate.
Does the logic continue indefinitely?
For example a batter is in a rundown and the play goes 6-5-4-5-8-6, do they all get assists? And two for the third baseman?

Only one assist per player in a rundown.
So your example...assists 6,5,4,8 and 6 gets a putout. The 3rd baseman doesn't get 2 assists.

From MLB.COM
"
An assist is awarded to a fielder who touches the ball before a putout is recorded by another fielder. ... If a player touches the ball twice in a rundown, where the runner is eventually tagged out, that player is only credited with one assist for that out."

jet40

PostSat Jul 04, 2020 9:48 pm

Best arm I ever saw was Ellis Valentine. The time Valentine, Winfield, Dave Parker and Reggie Smith had the throwing contest at Yankee Stadium is still talked about. Apparently Valentine stood out.

lanier64

PostSun Jul 05, 2020 1:09 pm

Years ago I heard Whitey Herzog tell a story about Satchel Paige's arm. The were playing minor league ball together in Miami and they were warming up around first base and Satch came up to him and said "You see that hole in the fence out there?" So Whitey looks and there was a hole not much larger than a couple of baseballs in the left centerfield fence so he says "Yes" Well Satch said "I'll bet you I can throw a ball through the hole from here on the first try." So Whitey said OK. He said Satch grabbed a ball with his back to the fence had just wheeled around and flung the ball 300 or so feet through the hole and said "Never doubt Satch" And the kicker is Paige is 50 or 51 years old at this time.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats