Baseball Needs a Jui Jitsu Move

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

freeman

Re: Baseball Needs a Jui Jitsu Move

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 7:26 pm

"Many have made the case for batters facing the shift to simply bunt more often. After all, batters have hit at least .357 when bunting against a shift every season since 2010. Would bunting be more effective than, say, trying to go over the shift? Not for most batters."

"According to weighted runs created plus (wRC+) — a metric that adjusts for ballpark and scoring environments, with 100 representing league average — batters produced a 53 wRC+ mark on bunts against all shift types last season compared to a 127 wRC+ mark when putting the ball in the air against shifts."

Batters who bunt...have not done it well enough.

modmark46

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 7:31 pm

I remember years ago, David Ortiz of the Red Sox was playing in a game. Opposing teams that year had begun using an extreme shift against him, and he had made quite a few hard outs in to the shift over a period of weeks. One game, he does a little poke bunt down the 3b line, and the ball rolls out in to the short LF grass and dies. David ended up with a double, if I recall correctly. Probably the softest double he would hit in his career. The game announcers were laughing, and he stood on 2b with a big grin on his face. He made a comment post-game that if teams kept shifting on him, he was going to do it more frequently, and take the gift double. Seems like teams backed off a good part of that season, at least with the extreme version of that shift.

labratory

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 5:39 pm

I can't understand how football remains popular on TV.
Most of the exciting plays are called back by penalties.
After every touchdown, there is a 5 minute review to make sure the video checks out.
Then two commercials before the extra point.
Then a few more commercials and back to see the ball kicked out of the endzone for a touchback.

murphy3

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 10:12 pm

It's even worse if you are in the stands at an NFL game. There is absolutely nothing going on during the TV timeouts. Everyone is just standing around waiting for the signal to play again. I went to one game years ago before cellphones, and I promised myself I'd never do that again. I should've brought something to pass the time - a book, magazine, crossword puzzles. I imagine it's even worse for the poor saps forced to endure a night game in subzero temperatures, all for the sake of higher ratings and a national TV audience.

At least when I go to MLB game, the breaks are between innings or pitching changes, and unlike football, the players are tossing the ball around the infield, warming up or stretching during the break.

Because of the things you've listed, the only way I'll attend a football game in the future is if it isn't going to be televised.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats