Engine is making substitutions without my permission

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

dspeters5

Engine is making substitutions without my permission

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 2:10 am

For one week, the engine was subbing in Matt Williams to come in for Jimmie Foxx as a late game defensive sub. At the beginning of the season I did set that up, but after awhile, decided to drop that from team strategy. Engine kept doing it even tho, I deleted that option. Wrote a letter to help, no response.

Now several nites later the engine is now subbing in King Kelly to play 3b for Jimmie Foxx as a late game defensive sub. I NEVER asked the engine to do this, doing it on its own.

Wrote my second letter to help desk to figure this out. Waiting for a reply. Crazy, engine is now making in game decisions without my permission. King Kelly for Jimmie Foxx????? He is a worse choice for a defensive sub than Foxx himself.

RotationsGeek

Re: Engine is making substitutions without my permission

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 2:53 am

I've got one team where I plugged a couple of those orders in, removed them, and it still does the switches.
The "machine" also seems a bit stodgy about using new Pitching "rules."

Anyone else??
“I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault.”
(Ty Cobb)

emart

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 12:04 pm

I am seeing unwanted substitutions occurring on four of my teams, all in high cap leagues. Substitutions I never asked for in team strategy, and with all defensive substitutions left blank. Thanks for the heads up.

labratory

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 3:33 pm

Defensive subs can be a mystery.
Often it's a response to some type of setting but not always. I have a team that sometimes puts Ted Martinez (3e8) in at 2B for Hornsby (2e33). None of the settings would suggest doing this and Martinez isn't even a better fielder.

I can at least understand what happened when HAL pulls a marginal fielder because "remove for defensive sub" is checked. After the player is removed, he then realizes that the defensive replacement is injured and ends up putting in a third baseman to play catcher and a backup left fielder to play third base. It's not the right move, but at least I can see what happened.

teamsters805

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 12:49 am

First inning defense Pujols for McCovey. Pure genius by Hal !

gamiam

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 1:29 am

IDK if this is the same thing but in one of my games tonight, Larkin gets injured for 3 games. On my roster is Yount and Beltre that can play short. Hal brings Beltre (1-12) in to pinch run for Larkin instead of Yount (1-15) and leaves Beltre in to play short for the rest of the game.

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 9:31 am

HAL seems to have gotten more aggressive with defensive changes a couple months ago. I remember a discussion of trying to figure out how to stop HAL from making these changes. For me, he was putting willy miranda in as a late inning replacement for Dahlen, which kind of makes sense except I even put Dahlen in as defensive replacement at SS to try to curb this. Didn't work.

paul8210

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 3:55 pm

chris.sied@yahoo.com wrote:HAL seems to have gotten more aggressive with defensive changes a couple months ago. I remember a discussion of trying to figure out how to stop HAL from making these changes. For me, he was putting willy miranda in as a late inning replacement for Dahlen, which kind of makes sense except I even put Dahlen in as defensive replacement at SS to try to curb this. Didn't work.

Too bad they don't put a news flash on everyone's front office page in the Stratomatic News section. Something like--"4/30/2020 More aggressive defensive substitutions have been implemented. Let's hope the intern knows what he's doing. Let us know if there are issues."

DGF102052

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 4:30 pm

Please post SOM's Support reply to your email to them regarding this issue.

emart

PostWed Jul 01, 2020 11:08 am

SOM has not replied to my email from Monday.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats