BASEBALL IS BACK JULY 23rd ???

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

bkeat23

Re: BASEBALL IS BACK JULY 24TH ???

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 10:51 pm

RotationsGeek wrote:
ScumbyJr wrote:Worst decision since NFL's scab replacements

for me it would be this "runner on 2nd nobody out" thing -- come ON now!!

I hated that rule when they added to the city softball league, it was ridiculous there, never mind at the MLB level.

Chompsky

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 10:18 am

I'm psyched! Of course baseball will have stupid ideas--I agree with criticism from other Strat managers.

But nevertheless I can't wait to watch my Mets and to listen to Gary, Keith and Ron! Whether my Mets go 20-40 or if they compete for the division!

And overall in baseballl...can someone bat .400? (remember Ichiro hit something like .450 over a 60 game stretch). Can a starting pitcher get 8 wins or log 75 innings?
What about an ERA under 1.5 for a starting pitcher? Can a reliever get 20 saves?
Will the MLB geniuses have slightly deflated the ball...or made it fly out of the park more than ever?
How will the cheating Astros be treated? What about the report on also-probably-cheating Yankees (who I of course hate), when is that coming out?
Is my work office going to have a fantasy baseball league, and if so, will we do our draft in person...or remotely?

So many questions, I can not wait. I can not wait. I can not wait!!!!!

It is going to be a unique season and it is going to be a blast!!!! I don't like the DH rule, but it will allow my Mets to use it to protect Cespedes.

The only thing I can't live with is that in all of the health and safety language there is nothing to protect the players from wild boars.

Play ball!!!! Chompsky
Last edited by Chompsky on Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alvarndc

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 10:30 am

Chompsky wrote:I'm psyched! Of course baseball will have stupid ideas--I agree with criticism from other Strat managers.

But nevertheless I can't wait to watch my Mets and to listen to Gary, Keith and Ron! Whether my Mets go 20-40 or if they compete for the division!

And overall in baseballl...an someone bat .400? (remember Ichiro hit something like .450 over a 60 game stretch). Can a starting pitcher get 8 wins or 75 innings?
What about an ERA under 1.5 for a starting pitcher? Can a reliever get 20 saves?
Will the MLB geniuses have slightly deflated the ball...or made it fly more than ever?
How will the Astros be treated? What about the report on the Yankees (who I of course hate), when is that coming out?
Is my office going to have a fantasy baseball league, and if so, will we do our draft in person...or remotely?

So many questions, I can not wait. I can not wait. I can not wait!!!!!

It is going to be a unique season and it is going to be a blast!!!! I don't like the DH rule, but it will allow my Mets to use it to protect Cespedes.

The only thing I can't live with is that in all of the health and safety language there is nothing to protect the players from wild boars.

Play ball!!!! Chompsky

All valid points and could make for quite an interesting season.

But can't help but feel a little disillusioned that these millionaires and billionaires could not come to an agreement earlier while their fans struggle through a next Great Depression in the wake of this biological crisis.

I mean really, they are ballplayers. Couldn't they just agree and put aside the money for once? Or just do what they effectively did here - say fine we will play for the conditions you have set but we reserve the right to challenge in court later.

For the good of all the people who feel isolated and trapped, wouldn't baseball be a wonderful diversion? Are they going to have televised triple headers through the summer? Why not?!?

The more bread and circuses there are, perhaps the less wanton destruction and rioting. Protest - cool. Put up a big screen, watch the Yankees in Central Park and protest away. Make it like Woodstock, who cares. And then a peaceful election and whoever wins wins. Like it used to be.

Watching baseball everyday and reading boxscores and watching SprtsCenter highlights will bring a sense of normalcy to this crazy period of time. Wish it had come earlier. But PLAY BALL!

dr.red

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 11:19 am

This is gonna be a great two weeks, and then a hundred players will test positive and the teams go back to quarantine. It will make for an interesting lost season of strat cards at least.

The Last Druid

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 5:51 pm

Just an alternative and minority opinion.

Professional sports are essentially a weapon of mass distraction. With the plandemic that has resulted in most of the world being put on pause for the past three months, we are witnessing an ever more polarized society being herded into a potential civil war, by government, a relentless corporate media and a complicit medical system, all of which have combined in an unholy alliance to eviscerate our freedoms, one by one, for a virus that the CDC this month admitted has a 0.0026 mortality rate, (confirming the precise results of a Stanford University epidemiology study of the virus's lethality published last month) roughly 1/100th of the 3 percent that was originally a conservative estimate of Covid-19's mortality rate. If all the incongruities regarding what has transpired to date with the novel corona virus, doesn't at least cause one to question the official narratives and what the agendas are behind them, then by all means frenetically return to your fantasy world of adult males, throwing and hitting little white balls while running around touching little white base for utterly obscene amounts of money.

Hack Wilson

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 6:28 pm

I sort of agree with what you say, but not sure about that death rate -- https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/fac ... 269331002/

That said, true, sports are a weapon of mass distraction, and frankly, the silver lining in the dark cloud of 2020 is that we have more time for music, books, movies, and ironically, closer, more authentic bonds with people we love, because we're not taking for granted all of the things we had before and the people we care about. I'm not too interested in watching pandemic MLB baseball, and can find other ways to spend my time. It's about making adjustments. I do agree that the full story about how this came about has not yet been told or the evidence presented. Still, I'd rather listen to public health experts for tips on daily behavior than narcissistic politicians who are way out of their league in intelligence. Instead of a total shut-down, a "slow down" and adjustments of capacity and operations would have been much better for the economy. Keeping businesses open, especially, the mom-and-pop small business, in about half or so of their normal state is more optimal, saves jobs moreso. Yes, question the agendas and be skeptical of so-called leaders, always, I agree.

The Last Druid

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 7:35 pm

Clfiton, who has profited the most from the pandemic? Big corporations like Wal-Mart have thrived, small non-chain businesses are getting killed. The official response to the pandemic certainly appears designed to crash the economy and cause irreparable harm to the middle class. We all have to shelter in place, wear masks in public (today Washington State made it a misdemeanor not to) and avoid any human touch. Certainly there are plans to enforce mandatory vaccinations to be allowed to travel and possibly even to work. Last time that happened was at the end of the first world war. Turns out that there were massive mandatory vaccinations, certainly of military personnel,many getting multiple forced shots. A physician recently published a study strongly suggesting that those who died from the Spanish Flu (60M worldwide) were those who received the vaccines. Interestingly, unlike Covid-19, the most impacted by that flu were young, adult males. Hmmm...

Also in my profession, we are seeing a huge recent uptick in domestic violence, some of it quite horrific. Moreover, many economically marginal folks weren't able to get their psychiatric meds refilled as well as drugs like Suboxone and Methadone and so they resorted to illicit substance use. In my rural county, in early May, we had 30 fatal overdoses in one night from cocaine laced with fentanyl. I believe that there will also be lots of divorces on the horizon. People that are functional and who have close knit, loving relationships may have had those relationships nurtured by the Great Pause, but a lot of folks came to realize that they didn't really know their spouses or children (so many kids now have electronic babysitters and emotionally absent caretakers) and that was a hugely rude awakening.

For myself, I have drastically curtailed my discretionary screen time, preferring to read books and garden. I have been outdoors more in the past three months than at any time since I renounced my life as a Fire Island (Kismet) beach bum in 1987.

Hack Wilson

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 8:43 pm

I'm not here to agree or disagree -- except on the death rate, which is higher than you say, but it doesn't matter who agrees or who doesn't. Facts are it's highly contagious and a bit (not a lot) more deathly than the regular flu -- data on death rate are confusing because we really don't know how many people have been infected, and it's changing constantly.

Millions of people are out of work, so many people suffering, and it is heartbreaking and totally wrong. Makes me angry to see how this country has fallen unnecessarily, and like you say, people are getting richer while others are left poor because of this pandemic. Everyone has mixed feelings and experiences, and this is unlike anything we've ever seen. Still, we need a national focus and leadership to handle such a problem. Makes common sense.

Taiwan, Japan, New Zealand, Germany, South Korea all have been able to contain the virus. American has failed. Why? Poor leadership, no national strategy.
Last edited by Hack Wilson on Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freeman

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 9:48 pm

I dont believe there is any scientific consensus about the death rate because it is so difficult to control for all the variables involved. At this point, given the pressure by the Trump Administration to have all federal agencies conform to its political objectives, information from the CDC is suspect. I would say the best tentative estimates indicate a fatality rate of about .5 to 1% (probably around .5-.6% in the US), assuming that all ages are equally likely to come in contact with it, which is not likely true anymore. That would be far deadlier than the flu which is estimated to typically have .1% fatality rate (but that may be an underestimate because who ever counts asympomatic cases of the flu?)

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01738-2

I dont think there is any agenda here by governments (other than Trump's obsession at getting reelected at the expense of everything else). Clearly, much like what occurred in the Financial Crisis, large corporations in the US have been able to use their political power to skew bailouts for them as opposed to other segments of society. A lot of the people who have relevant political power are already disposed--being from Wall Street or Big Business--to see things thay way. It's not just the US that locked down--but European countries as well. I mean, if lockdowns were an orchestrated attempt to achieve a political or economic objective it's surprising that they were so widespread or that there has been no evidence presented of any conspiracy. Some people complained bitterly here in California of the lockdown ordered by Newsome but he is reluctant--as is everyone--to go back to total lockdown even while cases grow out of control again.

The problem is that the US has basically--due to Trump being in charge and people thinking that there is some non-existent constitution right to not wear a mask or to not social distance during a pandemic--has been, with the possible exception of Brazil, the absolute worst country in dealing with the virus. Other countries were able to flatten the curve, reopen with precautions...and still keep cases low. We in many places reopened without flattening the curve much...and the cases bounced back. This should cause some deep reflection as to why we have been so darn incompetent.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomb ... -explained

Regardless of what the mortality rate is what should be clear by now (see Wuhan, Northern Italy, Spain, New York, etc.) is that the virus simply will not let a complete return to normalcy. It is contagious and harmful enough that the health care system will break down if precautions are not taken. Treating ICU patients with COVID takes an enormous amount of health provider time--I have read 3 times as much time as other ICU patients. (It is also pertinent that people who go to the hospital and survive are likely going to have significant damage to their lungs and other parts of their body which will have likely have lifelong effects; this too has to be factored in, not just immediate mortality rates)

When infections grow at an exponential rate society cannot continue to function--hospitals are overwhelmed and people get too scared that they will get infected or infect loved ones. So until we get an effective treatment or vaccine, social distancing precautions, wearing masks, and not staying indoors for extended periods in public with other people unless necessary and making sure such places are properly ventilated is essential to keeping the virus in check and allowing our economy to somewhat function. To think otherwise is to ignore lessons bought so expensively in Wuhan, Northern Italy, Spain, New York, etc and to think illogically that such an outbreak will not happen here.

I think that we will have a vaccine and/or effective antibody treatment within six months given the unprecedented world-wide research efforts going on right now (there are more than 100 antibody treatments in development right now). But until then there is no good argument for not taking prudent precautions.

Chompsky

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 10:23 pm

I agree with TLD that the winners are clearly corporations. Maybe a variation on Klein's "disaster capitalism" thesis...

And I think I may agree with TLD about one of the functions of baseball in modern society. Yes, mass distraction. As Chomsky (not to be confused with my cat Chompsky) says, the primary function of the mass media (we can include sports here) in the United States to mobilize public support for the special interests that dominate the government and the private sector.

Yes, baseball presents quite problematically. But I still love it. And while it is awful in some ways, there are still aspects of it that pretty much kick ass. Like workers who get a chunk of the wealth they produce (contrast to college sports). And just being an amazing sport that is great to watch (and play).

But I further agree with Hack Wilson and TLD about spending more time with family, friends, reading and gardening. I've never weeded so much in my life! Good conversation folks!
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats