What Do You Get with Advanced Skill League Option??

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

mighty moose

Re: What Do You Get with Advanced Skill League Option??

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 11:08 pm

southpawcom wrote:I've invited league members to join my private leagues and had them purchase a game credit, only to have them get lost in the process, start over, and purchase an additional credit. The confusion couldn't be intentional, now could it?

It doesn't make much sense that a "Std" or "Adv" designation in the league list should confuse your league members as they are all lined up in a row. Might have been more helpful to give them the league "Name" before anything else AND if it is an "Open" or a "Private" league. Sounds like more helpful instructions from you would have given them a better shot at success. :roll:

FrankieT

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 6:31 am

The Last Druid wrote:Elo ratings, such as used in tournament chess, are much more reflective of actual playing strength but offer no incentive to buy, buy, buy more teams.

It would be a fun element to have something other than accumulated wins/teams played as a measure. Tourney chess-styled ratings are a gold standard and would be awesome. Maybe it wouldn't encourage team buying independently, but it would add more connective "tissue" among players. I would think it could only enhance the social aspect of the community.

I never played bridge, but it always seems like those who are excellent chess players are also competitive bridge players.

hallerose

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 7:21 am

FrankieT wrote:
The Last Druid wrote:Elo ratings, such as used in tournament chess, are much more reflective of actual playing strength but offer no incentive to buy, buy, buy more teams.

It would be a fun element to have something other than accumulated wins/teams played as a measure. Tourney chess-styled ratings are a gold standard and would be awesome. Maybe it wouldn't encourage team buying independently, but it would add more connective "tissue" among players. I would think it could only enhance the social aspect of the community.

I never played bridge, but it always seems like those who are excellent chess players are also competitive bridge players.

I've played both bridge and chess fairly competitively, and probably am ok at strat too.

Here are probably the best bridge power rankings in the US. While it is far from perfect, it is based off of how well you do and how competitive the game is. The big wildcard in bridge is that it is a partnership game.

https://www.bridgepowerratings.com/PRhome.HTM

The Last Druid

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 7:31 am

Chess and Bridge seem to involve different skill sets. The part of bridge that I enjoyed the most is mastering complex bidding systems. This seems to tap into language skills and I don't really think that there is an equivalent in chess. Certainly both games place a premium on analytic ability, but chess involves more spatial relationship manipulation. I see bridge as primarily a left brain activity and chess more of a right brain activity, at least relative to bridge. Thanks to Hallerose for posting on the power rankings. I wish they had this when I was playing back in the 70's through the early 90's.

hallerose

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 8:04 am

ATG is probably closer to chess since there is largely known information. You know what is on your and your opponents' cards, just like you know what your chess pieces can do. The analysis preseason can be huge, but once the season starts it is mostly minor adjustments.

Mystery card is probably closer to bridge in that there is a lot more unknown information. As the bridge hand progresses (bidding and playing) you are continually processing more information and figuring things out, just like as a mystery card season progress as you figure out what cards you and your opponents have and what adjustments/changes need to be made.

FrankieT

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 9:33 am

I don't have a comparative comment regarding the skillsets for the two games since I don't play Bridge, but I find the topic fascinating.
Makes we want to learn to play bridge.

There are some interesting cats around this game.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats