when does HAL decide to pinch hit for pitchers?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

nomadbrad

Re: when does HAL decide to pinch hit for pitchers?

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 9:42 am

FrankieT wrote:
... I don't care if they add more controls, so go ahead because I won't use them. But if others want them--go ahead and add them because I think those who use them will get lots more unsatisfactory results than I will.

Frankie - I am in 20 Active ATG9 leagues and you're not in ANY of those. For the past several weeks I've been looking to join a league that your are in, so that I can join and see your wisdom in action....no such luck yet. I don't see any evidence of you playing in ATG9 leagues. In fact, how many ATG9 leagues are you in exactly??

Please share a LINK to one of your ATG9 leagues so we can see how well you are doing in your strategery, since you are claiming that, we peons that want our control back, get lots more unsatisfactory results than you.

The Last Druid

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 10:06 am

Brad: Frankie T used to be tersignf. I believe he has been here longer than I have. I am currently in four leagues with him two of which you can look up as they are the first two rounds of the current barnstormers tour. I will not post his teams without his permission but he is a highly intelligent manager and probably the person (except maybe Nev) that I like and respect the most of anyone who plays this game. BTW he is a physics Ph.D. and I think his strat ability is commensurate with his educational achievement. If I were you, I'd listen to what he says if for no other reason than he is probably spot on regarding the controls issue. Or, if you like you could listen to djmacb, one of the best managers here and with similar educational credentials as Frankie T, if memory serves.

jet40

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 6:18 pm

I like FrankieT. He posts info on how he plays the game, but because it doesn't match yours Brad, you assume things you probably shouldn't assume.

FrankieT

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 11:37 pm

Bruce, Jet, kind words and likewise respect for both of you gentlemen--I am not in your respective "league", nor djmacb's and many here, skill-wise, but I always seek out the better players to compete with nevertheless. More fun that way.

And hey cheers to you too nomad brad, as your memory is as engaging as your charm:
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/442168
I think that was the last time. I thought I saw your name once but wasn't sure.
Currently in ATG9 leagues as Bruce alluded--I am too lazy to list them but you can check the Barnstormers page for two at least.

I have played TSN and SOM online since around 2003 but had a break in the middle for a couple years. Didn't have all my history ported from my prior TSN username for some reason, but I am not too bothered by lack of notoriety--I've focused on learning more and engaging with some respectable and impressive people, like Bruce. There are many here--I haven't been able to interact with all of them. Because...

Although a long time player, previously in the 20XX game, I never played high volume. And when I did (do) play, it is typically for one of three reasons:
1. a tourney
2. a league with many superb managers
3. a request of a manager I enjoy competing with

If we haven't crossed paths often, well, there is your reason. Or possibly three.

All that said, I noted my comment may have sounded snarky, so I concede that. Not my intent--I tend to be dryly sarcastic at times. But you do frequently come on here with an urgency du jour, and I was merely pointing out there are other ways in the meantime. I posted numerous links some time ago when I first shared my own case for granting HAL more degrees of freedom (using some basic logic)...I think some on these boards had seen it and experimented as well.

But hey, just like many things in life, if it is that good, no one needs to be coerced to try it. That's up to you. I took a few credits to try a different approach and haven't gone back. Like jet40 said, I am an open kimono. If I learn something, I like to share it. If nothing else, to have it challenged either a priori with reason or a posteriori with some data. So have at it. Or not. Either way, have fun. I certainly have nothing I'm trying to prove.

And once again Bruce (too kind--especially from a perennial champion) and jet40--cheers. Likewise in spades.
Last edited by FrankieT on Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

FrankieT

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 12:04 am

BTW, here is an example of a 9th inning result from just tonight--my team pitching--no roles...not perfect (in fact--quite more exciting than I would like) but not bad and saved the W. Note how HAL even took out Schiraldi the hard righty to face the reverse righty hitter with Grant Jackson. I'd say that is notable. Would it have worked better if we were face to face? Of course. But we aren't. We all have HAL.

BOTTOM OF INNING 9
0 T.Puhl 2-9 Ground Out (3B) b-0 F9
1 J.Realmuto 4-8 Double (LF) b-2 F9
SUBSTITUTION at P: Frank Linzy (R)
SUBSTITUTION at PH: Kyle Seager (L) (role: platoon PH)
1 2 K.Seager 5-9 Walk b-1 F9
SUBSTITUTION at P: Frank Dipino (L)
SUBSTITUTION at PH: Ken Berry (R)
1 12 K.Berry 1-3 Single (CF) 2-H 1-2 b-1 F9
SUBSTITUTION at P: Calvin Schiraldi (R)
1 12 G.Roenicke 5-8 Strike Out b-0 F9
SUBSTITUTION at PH: Wally Berger (R) (role: platoon PH)
SUBSTITUTION at P: Grant Jackson (L)
2 12 W.Berger 2-3 Fly Out (LF) b-0 bpHR 1-13 F9
O,B Batter Roll Result Baserunners Misc. PCF

Chompsky

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 9:05 am

You both make reasonable and compelling points. And I'm sure you are both smart.

Who the hell knows?! I for one have no idea.

FrankieT

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 11:25 am

I wouldn't say I am compelling or smart, but I agree with you otherwise--who knows!

Heck, there are so many gameplay things...e.g., in ATG I would never play the infield in for any inning, but alas...

danielz

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 7:07 am

Agree with the infield in. I also wouldn't hold E base stealers
I would appreciate a don't pitch to 9L hitters button on my left handed relievers
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats