when does HAL decide to pinch hit for pitchers?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Courtneylant

when does HAL decide to pinch hit for pitchers?

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 10:29 am

admittedly this is only my 2nd No-DH league. i'm struggling to understand why HAL isn't pinch hitting for my Starters.

case in point, Mario Soto up with 2 on, 2 out, holding onto a 3-1 lead in the bottom of the 7th. HAL let's him bat and Soto strikes out. to start the top of the 8th, HAL removes Soto for my setup man. i had hitters available on the bench. Soto is not set on "Don't relieve before" or "Slow Hook". he already reached his endurance of 7 IP.

is it because the one i had designated to PH vs. Righties was in the lineup (due to injury)?

it can't be because Soto hits better than the remaining bench players.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/playbyplay/448611/82
-Alexander Supertramp

chris.sied@yahoo.com

Re: when does HAL decide to pinch hit for pitchers?

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 12:55 pm

lets start with the stipulation that trying to understand HAL is pure speculation from the beginning, but here is my best guess.

Soto is cruising, 3-1 lead, he's given up 3 hits, no BB. HAL says, "Hell, lets let Soto hit". Immediately after this, HAL looks at his notes (or in this case, your computer settings) and says "Oh Sh**. Its 3-1 and I am supposed to use Garber as the set up guy", so he quick runs out and yanks Soto while Garber is frantically trying to throw a few pitches to warm up.

Basically, HAL had no reason to yank Soto for the pinch hitter in the 7th, but he did have a reason to put Garber into the game in the top of the 8th.

And remember, just because he reached his endurance inning, he isn't necessarily fatigued. In fact, he was sitting at F9, he had only thrown 80 pitches, and had just taken down the side in order in the top of the 7th.

paul8210

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 2:12 pm

What happened with Soto illustrates a weakness in the game design. The software logic that honors the request to bring in the setup man has no ability to recognize that a pinch-hitter should be used in the bottom of the seventh since he's coming out of the game at the start of the next inning, anyway.

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 2:44 pm

This is absolutely correct. You see it with odd double switches at times also. In fairness though, it would take an incredible amount of advanced logic to think about all the "what-ifs" that go through a managers mind during a game. HAL is infuriating at times, but he actually could be worse.

paul8210

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 3:23 pm

chris.sied@yahoo.com wrote:This is absolutely correct. You see it with odd double switches at times also. In fairness though, it would take an incredible amount of advanced logic to think about all the "what-ifs" that go through a managers mind during a game. HAL is infuriating at times, but he actually could be worse.

I agree. That's why HAL should give us more settings to mitigate the daunting task of HAL handling these scenarios.

Examples:
Check box for a "pinch-hit for the starter when inning >=6 when assigned role: setup = true exists"
Check box for a "use last available non-fatigued pitcher before bringing in a fatigued pitcher"
Check box for a "don't pinch hit for backup catcher when nobody is left to catch, dummy"

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 3:47 pm

I agree wholeheartedly that there should be more control. I would also like a “never let a lefty to pitch to bagwell” button.

I know some people don’t use many settings. I tend to use lots in part because it something stupid happens, it’s my fault. I would rather have that than be left thinking HAL done screwed me over again. More control will always be better.

andycummings65

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 4:18 pm

I treat Strat Online as if I'm a very hands-on GM who can make a lot of input decisions, but, when the game starts, they take the dugout phone off the hook.

djmacb

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 5:17 pm

andycummings65 wrote:I treat Strat Online as if I'm a very hands-on GM who can make a lot of input decisions, but, when the game starts, they take the dugout phone off the hook.

Too true. Be careful what you ask for like the Rem 4 Def Sub checkbox which can lead to your backup catcher playing shortstop as a 5e88.

Chompsky

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 6:15 pm

You guys gave me a few well needed laughs.

FrankieT

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 10:13 pm

:). Same.

But this is why I just don't fight it. Since I wouldn't have Garber set as a middle man for HAL to try and determine WWFD (What Would Frank Do).

Not perfect either way. And I don't care if they add more controls, so go ahead because I won't use them. But if others want them--go ahead and add them because I think those who use them will get lots more unsatisfactory results than I will.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats