Emergency SP in relief

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Casey89

Emergency SP in relief

PostTue May 26, 2020 12:39 pm

Does anyone know why the game manager would bring in a SP that's part of a 4-man rotation at F0 (Len Barker) instead of my fifth starter Luis Leal who hasn't pitched an inning all season - when the game goes 16 innings and I've used up the RPs in my six-man bullpen? Makes no sense to me.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/445654/736

paul8210

Re: Emergency SP in relief

PostTue May 26, 2020 4:40 pm

I've written letters to Strat about this problem. I asked that if you're not going to fix this problem for starter/reliever, at least give us a role setting called "Bring this guy in as a last resort in extra innings before you bring in an F0." I guess if it's extra innings and Luis Leal is not assigned the precise role for the situation, he's probably not going to come in. However, in your case, Leal is not a starter/relief pitcher, so, there is at least a tiny bit of understanding why he shouldn't come in. He might have been an F0 (or F4?) because of his unfamiliar role as a relief pitcher even if he had been brought in.
Last edited by paul8210 on Tue May 26, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Outta Leftfield

Re: Emergency SP in relief

PostTue May 26, 2020 4:48 pm

For what it's worth, judging by their cards, Barker at F0 is likely to be a much more effective pitcher than Leal at F9.

If it was my personal choice, I'd rather see Barker pitching in that situation, based on Barker's pretty good card and Leal's absolutely terrible card. HAL might have felt the same way about the choice between those to pitchers under an emergency situation. If so, HAL's decision to call on Barker might be considered a feature rather than a bug. ;)

Update: Also, has just been noted in an edited reply above, since Leal is not rated as an RP, he would likely come in as an F0 as well. In this case, Barker was definitely the better choice.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats