Need help setting up a poll....never done it before.....

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

nomadbrad

Need help setting up a poll....never done it before.....

PostMon May 25, 2020 7:39 pm

Is it possible to set up a poll that will calculate % of total teams?

I want to set up a poll with 8 questions and the participant can enter a number ranging from 0 to 20....and at the end of the poll calculate percentages where the answer to question #1 is the denominator for the percentages for questions #2 thru 8

Here are the poll questions......can this be done or is it too complicated? Here are the questions I wanted to ask.

==================================================================
What caps are you playing in ATG 9?

1 - Regardless of type or cap, how many TOTAL ATG 9 leagues have you joined so far?

2 - How many of those are at a cap below $80 million?

3 - How many of those are at a cap of exactly $80 million?

4 - How many of those are at a cap of exactly $100 million?

5 - How many of those are at a cap between $101 to $139 million?

6 - How many of those are at a cap between $140 to $150 million?

7 - How many of those are at a cap between $151 to $199 million?

8 - How many of those are at a cap of $200 million and over?

nomadbrad

Re: Need help setting up a poll....never done it before.....

PostTue May 26, 2020 9:31 pm

Nobody cares to weigh in and recommend how to set up such a poll?

mighty moose

PostWed May 27, 2020 12:06 am

The poll function doesn't quite live up to what you are looking to do. It's meant for a single question and multiple choice picks for the question. Your expectations exceed our poor little phpBB® Forum Software

The Last Druid

PostThu May 28, 2020 7:29 am

Brad, I've tried myself recently on the ATG 9 All issue and couldn't get it to work either. Fortunately Moose and Garcia eventually set up their own polls. But it was quite frustrating...

mighty moose

PostThu May 28, 2020 3:24 pm

Actually I don't think poll creation itself is limited to me, it's just that only the first post in a topic sees those options underneath the message. Under NEW TOPIC - below the message - POLL CREATION. Clicking on that tab brings up the options. I know I have full control in the Barnstormers Forum, but I shouldn't have any elevated privilege's here. But again I think it's a single question with multiple answers.

nomadbrad

PostThu May 28, 2020 7:05 pm

Thx Bruce and Moose for the feedback.....not what i was hoping to hear but honest and at least i wasn’t crazy.... would the results of such a poll of interest to anybody else to see what caps others are playing in ATG9?

If so, now would be the best time to run such a poll since it would require minimal effort while most ( not all) of the community have probably played fewer than 12 total ATG9 leagues thus far.

From a marketing perspective i would think SOM would also be interested in the results.... my hypothesis is that close to half of the ATG leagues are either 80 and 100 million..... while the other half of ATG9 leagues are ALL other caps combined.

However, without the data from such a poll, we can only guess.

Why do i care? It is my hypothesis is that ATG re-pricing has favored the cap range of 80 to 100 while hindering the mid caps between 100 and 150 million..... i know i am playing way more 80 million cap leagues at the present than at any time in the previous 8 years....by a lot

The Last Druid

PostSun May 31, 2020 9:13 am

I concur with Brad's assessment of the repricing's impact on caps. Now, even at 200M, one has to be very conscious of pricing and not exceeding cap limits during a live draft. I prefer lower caps generally largely because of my early experience with ATG when a bad draft at 140M or 200M was very difficult to overcome. Now that the player pool is so deep, 140M allows one to overcome a bad draft but at 200M a bad draft is still problematic. I do think that both the BS tour and SOM should now include a 120M cap as a standard option, this will allow some of the otherwise now prohibitively priced superstars to be used more regularly. Just my two cents.

mighty moose

PostSun May 31, 2020 12:59 pm

The board at work.

Several years ago, the board voted "in" the 200 Mil event (probably when BruceF was on it) even though I was not a big fan of it. As I recall, weren't you Druid ALSO in favor of 200 Mil "at that time"? - Also the board was polled at the end of the 2019 tour on whether to add a 120 Mil event, that was also voted down. I might pose the question to them on whether ATG9 has given them any reason to reconsider.

The Last Druid

PostSun May 31, 2020 2:50 pm

Yeah, I advocated for 200M some years back. I used to play live draft high caps a lot. Stepped away from it because the manager pool is truncated and all the good ideas quickly circulate.

Right now I'd like to see a 120M cap added and replace the choose your own cap event.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats