3. Eveldrive
4. thetallguy747
5. 1787
6. Macmathman
7. Modmark
8. andycummings65
9. jet40
10. Scumbyjr

Apologies, I am going to drop. This is going to take more time than I have to spend between work and some things changing with how my company's office is opening up.

No complaints with the theme or answers to my remarks or other managers. I just have already spent a couple hours trying to figure out how to effectively collect an example of my eligible players and get them into a spread sheet where I can match them up against the ATG9 spreadsheet, etc. I really enjoy figuring out a team from an unorthodox pool of players. This is just too much time for me, right now.
Last edited by Denorien on Thu May 21, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Badjam

Re: Birthday league?

PostFri May 22, 2020 12:06 am

Good luck getting back to work. Thanks for your work.Seems like you might be looking into to much at this point, you don't know your month yet. Spread sheet?

Denorien

PostFri May 22, 2020 12:34 am

Badjam wrote:Good luck getting back to work. Thanks for your work.Seems like you might be looking into to much at this point, you don't know your month yet. Spread sheet?

So, the easy part, once I know my month, is looking at each day of my month in baseball-reference and then I can sort it by clicking the WAR column and scan down the list. Very easy to pick out the highest WARs and notice the names I recognize; which are a lot. But, there are a ton of players in ATG9 and finding the right mix of cheap players and less expensive players is difficult trying to look back and forth between the many birthday list(s) and the SOM draft GUI of free agents. Many cheap players have very small career WARs. They don't stand out so well looking at 30 - 31 pages of 50 odd players each on baseball-reference. Secondarily, I can look at the NEL birthday list at my month; that is much simpler and faster.

What I want to do is move all the player names for my month from baseball-reference to a spreadsheet (easy to do with comma separated), separate it into players and pitchers (still easy-ish, though cleaning up the formatting takes some work and time), and then do an effective compare against the ATG9 player spreadsheet (this is a little harder). Now, I'll have all my players identified in the ATG9 spreadsheet where I can sort by position and salary. My excel skills are good and I am patient with looking up how to do advanced functions. But, this is a bit more time and work for me because I am NOT an excel whizbang and some of it is just plain repetitive / time consuming.

supertyphoon

PostFri May 22, 2020 3:23 pm

I guess it depends on the amount of detail a manager needs to create a competitive roster for the salary cap. In the past I've always looked through each day of the month, noted which possible starting players I wanted for each position, see what I have left over for a bench, and went back through a second time to identify my reserves. I don't try to over complicate things. If you see a lot of power hitters, create a roster suitable for maximizing home runs. Or go small ball if that's a better fit for your month, and ignore the rest that are poor choices for what you intend to do.

andycummings65

PostFri May 22, 2020 3:27 pm

Possible suggestion: Randomize the months, assigning each manager a month. Then, managers only research their particular month.

ScumbyJr

PostFri May 22, 2020 3:29 pm

andycummings65 wrote:Possible suggestion: Randomize the months, assigning each manager a month. Then, managers only research their particular month.

I thought a randomizer was being used already?

supertyphoon

PostFri May 22, 2020 3:41 pm

Right, once we get 12 signed up, we request a random number generator and everyone will be assigned a month from that, with exclusive rights to all players born in their particular month.

modmark46

PostFri May 22, 2020 3:54 pm

Sounds like fun to me. Kind of like buying a lottery ticket. I look forward to researching my month. No idea which months might be a jackpot, but I would think good players will exist in every one. Hopefully we can find two more players and get the (birthday) party started. Supertyphoon, you may want to edit the thread title, alerting the board readers that we just need two to fill. A lot of times, that will do the trick.

supertyphoon

Re: Birthday league forming, only 2 more needed to get start

PostFri May 22, 2020 4:19 pm

Sign up below if interested. $120 million DH ATG 9 all eras. You will have exclusive rights to all players born in your randomly assigned month.

1. supertyphoon
2. Badjam
3. Eveldrive
4. thetallguy747
5. 1787
6. Macmathman
7. Modmark
8. andycummings65
9. jet40
10. Scumbyjr

tkl33

Re: Birthday league forming, only 2 more needed to get start

PostFri May 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Sign up below if interested. $120 million DH ATG 9 all eras. You will have exclusive rights to all players born in your randomly assigned month.

1. supertyphoon
2. Badjam
3. Eveldrive
4. thetallguy747
5. 1787
6. Macmathman
7. Modmark
8. andycummings65
9. jet40
10. Scumbyjr
11. tkl33

Sounds fun...Tim