New Bullpen Problems - easy fix- won't hold breathe

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

bkeat23

Re: New Bullpen Problems - easy fix- won't hold breathe

PostFri May 22, 2020 5:49 pm

Only speculation, but being unable to use the tied and late, behind and late, and tied 9+ is resulting in HAL bringing in the cheap hard R and L guys for extended outings.
I know we actually can fill in those boxes now, but at the expense of middle/setup/closer, as the new limitation on roles is in play.

BC15NY

PostSun May 24, 2020 12:00 pm

honestiago wrote:
Chompsky wrote:Hmm. Thanks for sharing. This is more than i thought possible in Atg9.

ATG8 Record was 450 innings for relief pitchers. If we can now top out at 250, with higher prices, that feels like a good adjustment by strat.

I do wonder if relievers will get injured more when they have high innings.

They won’t. I’ve brought up this very subject, only for people to shoot it down because “I didn’t spend $20 to...” etc etc etc. I’m. An advocate for super advanced injury from the computer version, but this won’t occur because people pay money for their teams, which entitles them, evidently, to no risk pitchers (the hitters have their own risk built in via variable injury ratings). There’s a real life price for abusing arms. But not in Strat.

Now, that said, if someone wants to blow 6-7M on one of these mega-relievers, then the exploit seems, I dunno, a bit more fair. They’re paying for a decent SP, basically, who would give you 250 IP anyway (though not across 100 games). I’m probably in the minority, but I feel the price hike plus usage control is absolutely fair, since exploited relievers cap in the 6-7M range, rather than what they’re actually worth. If we want to use just pricing, then Bruce Sutter needs to cost 10M+, same as an elite starter. Further, if you think about it, a topflight pitcher who can trot our there for 2/3’s of your game is a steal, even at 7M. They probably should cost more than they do, even with reprice. It’s an exploit, and it should cost more to do so. Either that, or reduce the IP ratings, with all pure RPs rated at 1 or 2. Of course, then we’d see people just use S/R’s as their bullpen studs, because this strategy, rare IRL, is ubiquitous in our notional leagues. Players find the exploits. It’s the nature of the beast.

Where is the "no risk pitchers" coming from? Only 200+ inning starters are limited to 3 game injuries. I've lost closers and relievers in general to 15 game injuries far too many times. Still no interest in super advanced injuries with potential for losing players up to 60 games...

STEVE F

PostSun May 24, 2020 12:42 pm

Exactly. I have pitchers get injured all the freakin' time! MORE injuries? NO thanks! I'll stick to the Windows game if that ever happens!

FrankieT

PostSun May 24, 2020 3:34 pm

STEVE F wrote:Exactly. I have pitchers get injured all the freakin' time! MORE injuries? NO thanks! I'll stick to the Windows game if that ever happens!

Exactly right.
Plus the whole line of "realism" in ATG is ridiculous. First, give me an injured reserve and then maybe--maybe I'd consider it as an option when starting a league. But not a fan.

Realism again...I think it is funny how it's OK with Ty Cobb batting against Joe Niekro in Yankee stadium, in made-up 12 or 24 team leagues, with selected salary caps and a pricing mechanism on cards, and mixing stats/teams/players from eras, but somehow injuries are just one toke over the line.

FrankieT

PostSun May 24, 2020 3:40 pm

bkeat23 wrote:Only speculation, but being unable to use the tied and late, behind and late, and tied 9+ is resulting in HAL bringing in the cheap hard R and L guys for extended outings.
I know we actually can fill in those boxes now, but at the expense of middle/setup/closer, as the new limitation on roles is in play.

I haven't had this yet--and all three of my teams so far have cheap hard righty/lefty types. Have been very happy with the bullpen logic, as I have been for quite some time since I stopped putting so many states restrictions on HAL with roles.

Just avoids and quick hook for those guys. No complaints.

Radagast Brown

PostSun May 24, 2020 10:42 pm

egvrich wrote:
When "Mr. I Ain't a Racist but I'm really a Racist"

Does anyone know who, or what he is talking about? What does this have to do with bullpen settings?

Seriously, What is this guy talking about?

RotationsGeek

PostMon May 25, 2020 12:39 am

if he was trying to trigger you it apparently worked...
I'd say just ignore and don't give it the attention he tried for (and got this time) and it will go away.
“I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault.”
(Ty Cobb)

honestiago

PostMon May 25, 2020 8:05 am

BC15NY wrote:
honestiago wrote:
Chompsky wrote:Hmm. Thanks for sharing. This is more than i thought possible in Atg9.

ATG8 Record was 450 innings for relief pitchers. If we can now top out at 250, with higher prices, that feels like a good adjustment by strat.

I do wonder if relievers will get injured more when they have high innings.

They won’t. I’ve brought up this very subject, only for people to shoot it down because “I didn’t spend $20 to...” etc etc etc. I’m. An advocate for super advanced injury from the computer version, but this won’t occur because people pay money for their teams, which entitles them, evidently, to no risk pitchers (the hitters have their own risk built in via variable injury ratings). There’s a real life price for abusing arms. But not in Strat.

Now, that said, if someone wants to blow 6-7M on one of these mega-relievers, then the exploit seems, I dunno, a bit more fair. They’re paying for a decent SP, basically, who would give you 250 IP anyway (though not across 100 games). I’m probably in the minority, but I feel the price hike plus usage control is absolutely fair, since exploited relievers cap in the 6-7M range, rather than what they’re actually worth. If we want to use just pricing, then Bruce Sutter needs to cost 10M+, same as an elite starter. Further, if you think about it, a topflight pitcher who can trot our there for 2/3’s of your game is a steal, even at 7M. They probably should cost more than they do, even with reprice. It’s an exploit, and it should cost more to do so. Either that, or reduce the IP ratings, with all pure RPs rated at 1 or 2. Of course, then we’d see people just use S/R’s as their bullpen studs, because this strategy, rare IRL, is ubiquitous in our notional leagues. Players find the exploits. It’s the nature of the beast.

Where is the "no risk pitchers" coming from? Only 200+ inning starters are limited to 3 game injuries. I've lost closers and relievers in general to 15 game injuries far too many times. Still no interest in super advanced injuries with potential for losing players up to 60 games...

I have never lost an RP for 15G. Not once. I’ve had 1 or 2 starters actually miss a start due to an injury. Is it zero risk? I guess not. But the injury risk for pitchers is pretty tiny if you play non-DH leagues, since your injury comes from the batting card. The risk is so low as to be negligible. Which is why people threw Joel Pineiro in there for over 200 innings when he only threw 75 IRL. There was not much risk he’d get hurt. If he did, overuse was not a factor.

And so there he was, in every league, along with that same troupe of exploits. You wouldn’t see a workhorse, like Jack Morris. Meanwhile, Joel Pineiro was used so much, without restriction, that they had to change his price. Same thing with super relievers. No risk to overusing any of them, so we’ve had to adopt repricing and new bullpen rules. There’s a few batters that get overused as well. Tamargo comes to mind. Even a risk of a 15G isn’t much, considering what you’re paying for using someone with such a small sample size. Same thing with Phil Weintraub.

mykeedee

PostMon May 25, 2020 9:10 am

I've lost relievers to longer injuries, Mellie Wolfgang comes to mind as recently he's gone down for 15 twice. Plus I prefer to use non* pitchers, so I've had numerous bullpen starts. As far as batters like Tamargo and Weintraub and Burns et al, I have to agree, we pay so little for them, even missing 30 games is worth the risk! Ultimately no AB limits for these guys is one of the main reasons (along with BP effects) that offense is so prevalent, even in 60m leagues.

STEVE F

PostMon May 25, 2020 11:35 am

Offense is prevalent largely because the batters card controls 108 outcomes, while the pitchers card control only 78 (X chart controlling the other 30)
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats