Anyone else notice this

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

egvrich

Anyone else notice this

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 4:59 pm

Had anyone else noticed this at the top of the home page ... Strat is pimping the Barnstormers Tournament which is great, but the last line of the blurb is this ...

This will be the first tournament to play under the upcoming new version of All-Time Greats which features all-new player salaries.

Anyone else hear about this before???

mighty moose

Re: Anyone else notice this

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:06 pm

Yes, I was waiting for SOM to announce it, but ATG9 will be out with adjusted salaries and the new pitching bullpen changes. Barnstormers will be fully operating under ATG9 now.

DGF102052

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:06 pm

I just saw it !
Sucks !
Just my opinion.

chaberlal

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:42 pm

WE WILL HAVE TO DO SOME HOMEWORK... :o :shock: :lol:

gkhd11a

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 12:30 am

I wonder who has already had access to what the prices are going to be? Who determined pricing, hopefully some clarity will be possible on this, unlike other times where the pricers weren't announced until months later that a select group of players had free access to leagues to test for weeks.

BDWard

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 1:33 am

gkhd11a wrote:I wonder who has already had access to what the prices are going to be? Who determined pricing, hopefully some clarity will be possible on this, unlike other times where the pricers weren't announced until months later that a select group of players had free access to leagues to test for weeks.

Yes, it would be unjust if that happened right before Barnstormers, giving the pricers and testers a distinct advantage in the tournament. On top of that are the new relief pitcher rules. Not only would the testers have greater knowledge of the cards, but they will have had more experience using the new relief pitcher rules.

Obviously the card pricers and testers were sworn to secrecy, though surely some people knew, judging from the recent posts in this forum regarding card pricing. Somebody was either tipping his hand, or was trying to influence the card pricers, or maybe both, as SOM seemed to have always used a committee in the past to price cards. It is also possible that the purpose of those posts was to surreptitiously solicit input on pricing from members of the community. Some members of past pricing committees have admitted to being on the committee in this forum. If the committee used 4 members of the ATG gaming community, it wouldn't be hard to guess their identities if you gave regular players a dozen or so guesses. With around 5000 cards in the ATG8 set, repricing didn't happen over night and probably took place over a number of months, unless SOM automated the process, which would have been the expedient thing to do.

Unless there is a leak, we likely won't know the identity of the card pricers and testers any time soon. Unfortunately, with the tourney set to begin, knowing the identity of the pricers and testers now is a little too late, and like my mother always said, it would be like "closing the barn door after all the horses ran out."

The Last Druid

talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 2:04 pm

I think there are five people on the pricing committee: Joe the Jet, rburgh, childswmc, Andy Cummings and George Barnard.

Don't believe Joe the Jet or rburgh are playing in the tour next year and of the other three only Andy has even a remote shot at making the top 9.

Riggo Drill has been trying desperately to influence the pricing of the new cards, thus his many posts on overpriced players, but the last I knew he hasn't been involved in the card pricing for at least 10 years.

I think it is great that the long overdue ATG is finally coming out and laud them for doing so in time for the next tour. I see no reason to delay its onset because some of the committee may or may not play on the tour. It is also my impression that they don't get advance notice of final prices, which I believe are subject to modification by Garcia anyway. I would be more than happy to play in the same league in the first round as anyone on the committee. As long as we have a week or two notice before Round 1 starts after the new set comes out, that is more than enough time to prepare. If anyone is worried, all they need to do is purchase one canned park from Joe the Jet and they will have all the information they need to draft intelligently.

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 2:19 pm

ATG 8 came out right after I started playing online and I really didnt have any idea what I was doing. Sometimes I still think I dont.

anyway, I seem to remember that there were also some subtle card adjustments made at the time. I couldn't find it in the bulletin boards. I was wondering if

a) is my recollection correct?
b) if so, are they doing anything similar this time?

I think I can handle the price changes between diamond dope and a little planning, but if there are major card changes that affect quality of the cards, that might make a bigger difference.

mighty moose

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 2:49 pm

George Barnard last played in 2018, rburgh in 2015 (the year he won the Championship !!). Joe the Jet has never played - childsmwc is signed up and andycummings is a board member, current player and former Champion.

I can inquire as to how the process was played out but we all know that this isn't something they usually reveal. I personally had no knowledge of the repricing until just a couple of days ago but I also don't particularly place a lot of importance on "repricers" gaining an advantage. We will all have access to the cards and I am sure there will be plenty of analysis posted here once we see the changes.

I'm just more appreciative that the changes that have long been asked for here are finally taking shape.
Last edited by mighty moose on Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Last Druid

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 4:11 pm

It also may be that the bullpen modifications were tested by 200x players. Even if they were tested by ATG guys, it will take quite some time, if ever, to figure out precisely how they impact the game. What I think will be interesting is how relievers fare in the repricing as many believe that the super relievers are grossly underpriced, yet the prospect of them being curtailed in that capacity should dramatically influence their repricing.

The other piece is that there probably are not many new cards being added and we are all familiar with what the current cards can do it just remains to be seen how pricing recalibrates their relative values.

Frankly I have no sympathy for people who might struggle with whatever changes to the game come down the pike. If you recall from 11th grade Social Studies, H.L. Mencken once quipped regarding Puritanism "the haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy." Similarly, some of the folks here appear to be haunted by the fear that someone here might somehow have an advantage over them, however miniscule. If this is you, consider taking a year or two off to study the impact the changes have on your draft cards and then get back to the rest of us. :roll:

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats