The insane bargains

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

ShakeyBoomer

Re: The insane bargains

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 10:19 am

Can someone please tell me how you can examine a particular manager’s past teams? I was never aware that could be done other than looking at the ATG tournament links.

Chompsky

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 12:04 pm

I don't think it's necessarily "shady." That gets to motivation. Who knows what drives another human being--we can't even figure out our very strange selves let alone our follow human beings.

If RD purposefully left some gems off, well, I suspect I'd do the same thing.

If it was just an incomplete list, so be it. Every list is probably going to have some questionable folks listed and some questions about folks not listed.

MARCPELLETIER

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 12:49 pm

Not that Riggo needs to be defended, but Henderson, Wagner, Davis, they are all there on his bargain list. And of course, in 80M or 100M leagues, you can only typically target one or two 2M bargains. If he were to play 30M leagues and snub his bargain list, then I would understand the argument.

I have Adams as the best 3b neutral value, but I don't have him on my current team because I needed to spend more. But I do have Paul Blair, my best value at cf.m, just couldn't get both.

And while I am on it, I would never spend a high pick on Adams (and I don't believe Laboratory did) because they are 4-5 3b in the 2M who are as valuable as Adams. Actually, I have Willie Pudding Head Jones equal to Adams at top value, but never saw him play once in any league while I see Adams quite often. Pudding Head would make my insane bargain list.

(Did I read it correctly that Adams was 65th best value on Joe's rating? )

I do get the point that setting a price tag in the context of neutral stadiums has limited value. Perhaps price should be set at the player's optimal environment, I think that is how SOM sets the Price in 20XX. It could be interesting to try that vein in ATG as well

RiggoDrill

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 1:03 pm

ShakeyBoomer wrote:Can someone please tell me how you can examine a particular manager’s past teams? I was never aware that could be done other than looking at the ATG tournament links.

I was wondering that myself. In fact, I was hoping cristano1 or someone else would explain :D

scorehouse

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 2:50 pm

i Yall's rating system for undervalued players, i.e. Bonds, how do you factor in injury? isn't that a problem with Lajoie also?

MARCPELLETIER

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 12:02 am

i Yall's rating system for undervalued players, i.e. Bonds, how do you factor in injury? isn't that a problem with Lajoie also?

Yeah, I factor injuries in my ratings. Obviously, the best I can do is to set the salary of a player based on his "expected" number of games. For Bonds, I "expect" 153 games, for Lajoie I expect 151 games. But this number is a bit artificial. For example, I downloaded the 13 complete seasons Lajoie played in the 100M Barnstournament this year. On average, he did play 152 games. In reality, he had:

9 seasons with 153 games or more
2 seasons at 151 or 152 games,
2 seasons well below that average (including a 129 games season, although the manager seemed to have forgotten Lajoie on the bench for some part of the season)

(it seems that my current team is currently having the bad roll: Lajoie already missed 20 games and my team hasn't played 50 games yet).

Also, although it does not affect much the ratings, I do also include for all players the contribution of the expected replacement player that will take place while the player is injured. For this, I consider a player whose salary is very close to 0.5M. For Lajoie, for example, my baseline remplacement is similar to Ray Morehart (the 0.57M card).For Bonds, it's Paciorek.

Obviously, if you don't pay attention and grab a really lousy second baseman, his very bad value might affect the team. Some cards are really bad out there, 12 games of say, Frank E Thompson facing right-handed pitchers and playing defense will cost your team 7 or 8 runs, pretty much off-setting the good bargain with Lajoie.

But what I see most often is the opposite: guys will spend over 1M on a sub that will play only 15 games, just to make sure Lajoie has a good replacement. But not spending that million on other players will also cost your team 7 or 8 runs, which also pretty much off-sets the good bargain with Lajoie.

The best one can do is make that 1M player useful: have him play 80 games at multiple positions, and/or make him a pinch hitter and/or a pinch runner. Or otherwise stick to the best value one can get near the 0.5M mark, and hope for the best.

scorehouse

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 11:04 am

good stuff.

scorehouse

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 12:05 pm

in Bonds case on my teams, his backup for when he's injured is also his defensive replacement for later in games so his sub gets playing time but not necessarily AB's. which is a good thing.

Radagast Brown

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 2:48 pm

What seems shady is that some people have access to managers past teams, and though several people have asked, HOW, no one is answering. This isn't all that different than the DRAFT KINGS SCANDAL where employees had access to inside information that everyone else could not see.

How can someone call out Riggio Dill for not sharing his secret bargains list, while denying all the people who asked how you can see all the past teams of a particular manager?
This is worse than the pot calling the kettle black.

Radagast Brown

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 2:53 pm

Crisco1 calling Riggo shady is a bit rich. Are you going to tell us how you can access all of a manager's past teams, or not?
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats