Pete Rose is just sad

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

YettieJohnston

Re: Pete Rose is just sad

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 3:40 pm

Ahoy,

"Just one sign" not "lust" - but that's not bad either.

Yettie

FrankieT

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 8:09 pm

Before we continue to clutch our pearls, sign stealing has always been part of the game. Yes, I understand this was a 21st century scheme.

I don't agree that it's nearly impossible to mitigate. Difficult, sure. But it has been going on long before cameras, and not just in baseball. The Nationals cracked the code--they shut down that offense. On a small scale, we had rolling signs in my younger days. Switched the shift every inning. Like manual encryption.

On the other hand, it is indeed IMPOSSIBLE to defend against intentional game-throwing. That is a lot different than advanced sign stealing.

I am not saying the punishment couldn't/shouldn't be more extreme, but the MLBPA would have a say...it would get ugly...and baseball is a business. If I were a competing manager/GM, I would be working on measures to go on offense against such a scheme. I would not have my grown men who play a game for $xM per year, to bellyache to me about "fairness." I'd skin em if I heard that.

Radagast Brown

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 1:47 pm

Pete Rose is a jerk , but he still belongs in the Hall of Fame. Hell , Ty Cobb was a raging bigot who possibly killed someone. Rose shouldn't go in as a manager he should go in as the most consistent hitter of all time.

Radagast Brown

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 1:52 pm

Why is Joe Jackson still not in the Hall of Fame? It's been 100 years. And in that case they went all in on the punishment. But do we even know if Jackson cheated?

YettieJohnston

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 9:49 pm

Ahoy,

And Ty was in his 50's when he walked down 5th Ave....

Rose was the Hustle and truly played with his heart - but Ty was my fav - not for the bigotry but the coming in hard and high with the cleats.

Yettie

fenders

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 8:39 am

Rose was truly my boyhood hero. Few things in sports have been so hard to watch for me. When I read his "confession book" I truly understood how incapable he is of ever understanding that what he did was not normal or OK.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats