Pete Rose is just sad

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

RB44

Re: Pete Rose is just sad

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 4:13 pm

Given the light punishment, most teams will now consider doing the same thing.

STEVE F

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 4:42 pm

RB44 wrote:Given the light punishment, most teams will now consider doing the same thing.

Sure, if they want to replace their manager and GM every year

gkhd11a

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 5:52 pm

tersignf wrote:Look i hate the astros...im a yankee fan...my statement about the team penalty being heavy is as judged against historical mlb standards for team wide sanctions. It’s uncommon. But yeah no doubt they ruined the integrity of the game. And apparently altuve was doing more than i would have thought.

But i also dont know what else mlb could have done to the players after the fact when they have changed teams. Maybe revoke the championship. To the team they could have done more so i get that. I was speaking in a relative sense.

But rose was just as bad because ofnhis attitude. I think the astros have the same lack of contrition.

Rose got a lifetime ban and as a result of an investigation that left no stone unturned. In this case MLB has done everything they can to avoid finding anything out, despite the evidence being out there extensively. The finding that Luhnow only had "some knowledge" is totally unbelievable, as is the fact there was no evidence of any technology used in the sign stealing, other than a video feed and a crude banging of a garbage can. In fact the investigation was so poor mere reviewing of taped games is providing more evidence than MLB said they could find (did not want to hold players culpable when it was so widespread it becomes impossible to know who was or wan't cheating. Every member of the Houston Astro's executive and coaching team should meet the exact fate of Pete Rose and be given a lifetime ban, the same as the Black Sox. It was an extremely sophisticated sign stealing operation that made it virtually impossible to pitch well against. Five million dollar fine for organization with 1 billion in revenues. Revenue sharing for advertising in 2018 was 118 million. So the fine was equivalent to one weeks pay for the Astros, 2 hours pay for MLB as a whole. And this sport is going to allow play by play betting in the near future at the park, and allow MGM to operate betting kiosks at the park, OMFG!?

freeman

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 6:20 pm

As far as I'm concerned... two world series were stolen from the Dodgers. The manager and the GM in Houston should be given life-time bans; same with Cora. I am not sure what should be done about the players. If Altuve and Bregman were using buzzers on their shoulders...at least a year suspension. maybe more. Maybe they should just be kicked out of baseball. Some of the players have to be made an example of. They need to threaten bans on everyone until they get the truth of what happened, what players were more centrally involved.

Yeah, I am a Dodgers fan, but not that big of a fan. But the sheer injustice of losing two series in a row..to two cheating teams...just really bothers me.

dspeters5

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 1:27 am

Would really like to be at Yankee Stadium when the Astros come to town. Hostile crowd?????? Wow, I would buy an Astos uniform and buy a box seat ticket behind their dugout and grab the buttons and yell at Jose and Alex everytime they came back to the bench. It could be very ugly. Where is Verlander now? Nothing to say?

Hack Wilson

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 9:39 pm

This scandal will get worse, but MLB will try to minimize it by focusing only on a team or two (not all who were doing it, that would really ruin the brand, lol), and protect the real money powers that are the franchises, owners and MLB brand, and instead blame middle management (like they did with the Astros, and justifiably so) and players (who they can't touch without difficult legal issues due to the collective bargaining safeguards for players).

YettieJohnston

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 3:24 pm

Ahoy,

I never did play well against people with leverage. Must be my coal miner upbringing.

Yettie

YettieJohnston

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 3:29 pm

Ahoy,

And that loss to the Pirates was just Babe style prep for the series without having Babe type stamina....
Bring on the beer & brats!

Yettie

YettieJohnston

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 3:32 pm

Ahoy,

Shoeless Joe is twitching in his grave.

Yettie

YettieJohnston

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 3:40 pm

Ahoy,

Stealing signs has been here forever, but the technology makes it unacceptable.
Need to see if there's any collusion between MLB & NFL?

My Strato teams' catchers have adopted lust one sign these days.......

Yettie
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats