Pete Rose is just sad

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

lanier64

Pete Rose is just sad

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 4:46 pm

I see where Pete Rose is saying that what the Astros did was far worse than what he did. He said he only bet on his team to win (which I still don’t believe) and that didn’t taint the game. Well using that rationale the Astros were just trying to win and using his screwed up logic that shouldn't taint the game. But he doesn’t see it that way. He says “Look those guys are worse than me”. Pete Rose is like all sociopaths in that he can always justify his actions in his own twisted mind. It’s just sad to see him continue to hold on to this construct that he did nothing wrong. He just doesn’t get it.
I’ve only used him once in ATG and had rather mediocre results as I remember.

Hittmens

Re: Pete Rose is just sad

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 5:34 pm

lanier64 wrote:I see where Pete Rose is saying that what the Astros did was far worse than what he did. He said he only bet on his team to win (which I still don’t believe) and that didn’t taint the game. Well using that rationale the Astros were just trying to win and using his screwed up logic that shouldn't taint the game. But he doesn’t see it that way. He says “Look those guys are worse than me”. Pete Rose is like all sociopaths in that he can always justify his actions in his own twisted mind. It’s just sad to see him continue to hold on to this construct that he did nothing wrong. He just doesn’t get it.
I’ve only used him once in ATG and had rather mediocre results as I remember.

I will use Bonds Sosa etc I will never use Rose

FrankieT

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:33 am

I haven't used his card but it has nothing to do with his real life antics. Heck baseball is not full of prudes. Half the people wouldn't be usable if character counted on a card.

I agree that Rose is better served by keeping his yap shut. He never makes a good case for himself and I don't understand why he has never developed the wisdom to see that. Even if one could agree with his claim that he only bet on his team winning, it was a case of he knew it was wrong and did it anyway. And back then, as now, he doesn't know how to be contrite and that does not play well with the people who hold all the leverage.

That said, the Astros (like Rose) were hit historically hard by MLB for good reason. They blatantly disregarded the written warning from the league just days after its issuance two falls ago. No doubt it tainted their 2017 championship. That's the worst part of it for them. Their pride.

But like Rose, they knew what they were doing was wrong. In fact they were told it was explicitly not permitted to use the cameras in that way. They will be the black sox of the modern era and like Rose, for good reason.
It also makes sense because a few of those guys were never on-the-nose hitters the way they were in some stretches and well outperformed their expectations. Bregman is a great example. Great at hitting when he "guessed right" and was amazing at laying off breaking balls when his career took off. Now we can surmise why. Can't say that about Altuve--that little guy swings at everything and hits it somewhere and hard.
No different than PEDs, except it was an entire team breaking the rules.

Do teams try to steal signs? Yes it is part of the game. Do teams use technology designed for replay challenges and other technological capabilities to make it into a pitch by pitch effort? That's a different thing. As MLB pointed out.

lanier64

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 11:41 pm

Well said tersignf!!

Chompsky

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 12:23 am

I don't have a full grasp on the scandal yet. But my own view is that the Astros were treated very gently.

There's a lot to like about the Astros (beating the Yankees is pretty high up there). But what MLB has done to them seems almost scripted and minimal given the cheating allegations.

Chompsky

dspeters5

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 12:07 pm

This cheating scandal is worse than Pete Rose betting on baseball. And the penalty issued from MLB was light IMO, A 5 million dollar fine, is a slap on the wrist, one year suspensions, first two draft picks in 2020 and 2021? They would have been drafting like 27,28,29 etc. No international money taken away, which may have been much more painful. And now, sites are showing Jose Altuve grabbing his jersey rounding third base after hitting a walk off homerun against Alrodis Chapman and then running into the dugout to change his shirt, before he puts on the championship tee shirt and this was in 2019 ALCS?.?.?.? They CHANGED the outcomes of seasons, playoffs.

They should apologize to Yu Darvish, for mental trauma. So many fans booed him, and wrote him off because he was tipping pitches???? No, Astros stole the signs from his catcher, relayed to the batter thru a drum or electronic stimulus. The batters knew what the pitches were coming. Altuve's road home splits in playoffs were off the charts and so was most of the Astros hitters. This is in the same ballpark as the BlackSox scandal. Comiskey should have been suspended for his part as well. Why are not the ballplayers being suspended? They created the scheme. MLB owners are enacting real penaltys, gone, no pay. Maybe for life?

visick

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 2:07 pm

Well said dspeters5... well said.

BC15NY

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 4:04 pm

visick wrote:Well said dspeters5... well said.

Agreed. I'm fairly certain the Astros still had this going against the Rays in the 2019 postseason. In game 5 they hammered Glasnow right out of the gate; they knew what every pitch was going to be. They couldn't beat the Rays at the Trop. Scored 4 runs in 2 games...

Look at this Astros 2019 season recap:
The Astros were 60-21 in the regular season at home. Yes, they were the equivalent of a 120-win team at home. They only lost two series at home (hilariously, one of those was to the Pirates) all year. So far in the playoffs, they are 3-0 at home. The 63-21 mark at home is prorated to 122 wins in a full season. At Minute Maid Park, they basically play like the best team ever.

FrankieT

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 7:36 pm

Look i hate the astros...im a yankee fan...my statement about the team penalty being heavy is as judged against historical mlb standards for team wide sanctions. It’s uncommon. But yeah no doubt they ruined the integrity of the game. And apparently altuve was doing more than i would have thought.

But i also dont know what else mlb could have done to the players after the fact when they have changed teams. Maybe revoke the championship. To the team they could have done more so i get that. I was speaking in a relative sense.

But rose was just as bad because ofnhis attitude. I think the astros have the same lack of contrition.

divad

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 10:12 pm

Maybe my next theme team will be Astros + Blacksox + Pete Rode :)_
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats