ATG9 Salaries - Third basemen

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

The Last Druid

Re: ATG9 Salaries - Third basemen

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Bud Weiser is one of my favorite go to guys.

I have used him hundreds of times on my teams, especially for add/drops during frenzies. Granted, he never makes the final roster cut, but he is very valuable as a .50 M player when conducting transactions where time is of the essence. 8-)

nomadbrad

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 7:23 pm

freeman wrote:A static value for a card is an illusion. Ballpark affects of course (you can never come up with a static value that represents all ballparks)..but also positional scarcity, statistical scarcity (outlier stats) placement in the line-up, extreme splits, and-- very importantly--the ability of the card to combine with other cards to form strategies to increase the value of a card. No card is an island...entirely of itself.

Of course you have to have some way of determining the dollar value of players, but I don't think you are going to ever be able to get a final fixed number on a player and I think you are probably always to going to have a bunch of cards that are not used much.

This is where I disagree....I think I could price the entire set and for caps $60 to $140 million 60% of the set would be used 10% of the time.....a huge improvement from what we have right now.

I think there would be a fair amount of complaining at how I arrived at the pricing, but the pricing would be close enough that it would encourage a LOT more cards being used for different stadium strategies for hitting, pitching and defense.

And then, the pricing should be adjusted again each year after that to encourage usage of lesser used cards again....there are HUNDREDS of cards I would love to use, but they are all over priced anywhere from 50 cents to $1.50 and as such i will never use them.

egvrich

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 10:37 am

Hittmens wrote:https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1527308

Nice year out of Bud Weiser

Well, he did hit above his card ... :lol:

Radagast Brown

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 11:25 pm

No offense guys but I am not trusting THE LAST DROID, or anyone with a much lower winning percentage than myself to tell me who is overpriced and who isn't.

Hittmens

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 8:46 pm

No offense guys but I am not trusting THE LAST DROID, or anyone with a much lower winning percentage than myself to tell me who is overpriced and who isn't

Love the no offense

egvrich

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 8:18 am

Hittmens wrote:No offense guys but I am not trusting THE LAST DROID, or anyone with a much lower winning percentage than myself to tell me who is overpriced and who isn't

Love the no offense

It's kinda like saying ... "With all due respect"

boyer14

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 2:03 pm

Radagast Brown wrote:No offense guys but I am not trusting THE LAST DROID, or anyone with a much lower winning percentage than myself to tell me who is overpriced and who isn't.

Fact Check - Just to keep the record straight

ATG8 Win Percentages
RiggoDrill .583
The Last Druid .552
Radagast Brown .527

FrankieT

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Maybe this was not the Droid he was looking for. :lol:

I think it is funny to have such an attitude over an online game engine of baseball stats. And it isn't like TLD is a scrub--he is one of the most frequent and successful players (I think a ~60% playoff rate against a standard random chance of 33% is pretty darn convincingly excellent).

But either way--none of it discounts anyone's input for cause. Address the suggestions, not the people. I mean, TLD and a few others that chimed in could have made such an assertion as well, but addressed the comments on their merit instead.

FrankieT

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 2:11 pm

boyer14 wrote:
Radagast Brown wrote:No offense guys but I am not trusting THE LAST DROID, or anyone with a much lower winning percentage than myself to tell me who is overpriced and who isn't.

Fact Check - Just to keep the record straight

ATG8 Win Percentages
RiggoDrill .583
The Last Druid .552
Radagast Brown .527

Yeah there is that.

joethejet

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 7:52 pm

Sorry to jump in here a little late, but TLD just informed me about this. So, the "value" that he's talking about is really just an adjusted rating divided by salary, it's a rough measure.

I think it's a little curious that Riggo doesn't include McGraw, but the description of McGraw is pretty close to what Joyce is (high ob, bad D, no power. Granted Joyce has some v RHP)

So, some guys that pop out to me ("average park" here) are:
Torriente 7.68
Monroe 6.89
Traynor 29 5.78
Traynor27 5.12 Dandridge 27 5.4
Collins 02/03
Kurowski 4.74

Gardner 11 looks like a good deal in a platoon.

As for Joyce, that D scares me, I would probably lean towards kurowsik 46, or Groh (depending on park). Other guys in that range: Mueller, Kell, Dykes, Madlock. Joyce has good hit ratings versus both sides, but that glove? Yikes.

As for Adams, he's a decent value, but I think Will Jones might be a tad better. Lavagetto gives you a little more O and at least he's N power.

All the time I have for now. Could do this all day ;)
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats