ASK for Diamonddope on Survey

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

stevea47

Re: ASK for Diamonddope on Survey

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 4:34 pm

Seems if RP overused there should be a degradation in performance. It happens during games. During season if innings "exceed" the prorate of card inning totals performance is impacted.

egvrich

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 6:28 pm

stevea47 wrote:Seems if RP overused there should be a degradation in performance. It happens during games. During season if innings "exceed" the prorate of card inning totals performance is impacted.

That would be the true solution to the problem. When they exceed their usage, their performance goes in the crapper. That is what I suggested on my survey. Not sure if it can even be done or if they would even try. But I like the idea.

andycummings65

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 6:36 pm

egvrich wrote:
stevea47 wrote:Seems if RP overused there should be a degradation in performance. It happens during games. During season if innings "exceed" the prorate of card inning totals performance is impacted.

That would be the true solution to the problem. When they exceed their usage, their performance goes in the crapper. That is what I suggested on my survey. Not sure if it can even be done or if they would even try. But I like the idea.

I understand the concept, but couldn't you grab a high-dollar super-reliever, pitch him into the ground, and then drop him for a cheaper but still good RP to finish out the season? Say, run Murray into the ground, then when he meets the innings limit, drop him and pick up Radatz?

That's why I hesitate to change too much, you never know how a decision will effect things.

stevea47

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 9:33 pm

The limit would not be season total limit but prorated as we progress through the season.

Outta Leftfield

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 9:59 pm

stevea47 wrote:The limit would not be season total limit but prorated as we progress through the season.

That sounds like a plan.

Sandycofax1

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 3:03 pm

In atg8, wouldn't the super reliever problem be solved by simply requiring a minimum of 4-5 relievers with a minimum total group IP, in reality, of 500 or some reasonable number? I use Sutter or some of the others sometimes, but I have 4-5 relievers and I never get more than 140-150 IP out of them. Or maybe I'm just too new to the online game, but I don't know of a way to have 4-5 pure relievers and still pitch one of them 250 innings.

andycummings65

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 3:11 pm

Sandycofax1 wrote:In atg8, wouldn't the super reliever problem be solved by simply requiring a minimum of 4-5 relievers with a minimum total group IP, in reality, of 500 or some reasonable number? I use Sutter or some of the others sometimes, but I have 4-5 relievers and I never get more than 140-150 IP out of them. Or maybe I'm just too new to the online game, but I don't know of a way to have 4-5 pure relievers and still pitch one of them 250 innings.

My experience as well

egvrich

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 4:28 pm

andycummings65 wrote:
Sandycofax1 wrote:In atg8, wouldn't the super reliever problem be solved by simply requiring a minimum of 4-5 relievers with a minimum total group IP, in reality, of 500 or some reasonable number? I use Sutter or some of the others sometimes, but I have 4-5 relievers and I never get more than 140-150 IP out of them. Or maybe I'm just too new to the online game, but I don't know of a way to have 4-5 pure relievers and still pitch one of them 250 innings.

My experience as well

It doesn't matter how many you have, what matters is the settings you use for the ones you do have.

And while at first I thought the aggregate 500 innings thing was an interesting idea, you could easily circumvent that requirement by having 2-3 low inning studs (such as Murray) and then two low end cheap R5 type guys with 200 innings each.

stevea47

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 4:35 pm

It's not a bullpen issue. I don't see the need to cap bullpen innings. If adopted all relievers would be adversely affected when the limit is reached. It's a pitcher issue. I see relief pitcher's SOM innings far exceeding reality. Relief pitchers win upwards of 30 games and pitch over 200 innings. A big impact on caps less than $120M.

mykeedee

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 1:22 am

Biggest issue with relief overuse is POW, if Sutter pitches 5 innings in gm 1 he can go 5 innings in gm 2 and if he stays under 3 guys on base in all innings he will not become weak. Needs to be some way to curb his ability to pitch 10 innings in 2 days at full strength. Also, real pitching staffs use more pitchers than we do to eat the innings, can't do that with the roster restrictions even if you wanted to, so only 3 to 5 guys in the pen will lead to overuse unless your starters are all studs and you are playing at a lower cap.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats