Is Strat-o-Matic ATG over?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

PATRICKCASSIDY

Re: Is Strat-o-Matic ATG over?

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 10:04 pm

I don't know the answer to the Big Rig's opening question, but I do think some small number of players have passed and some, like Nev, lost a little bit of the belly fire for the game.

not that it means anything, but I personally, have cut down to one team at a time, just because that is what I am comfortable with General Managing, and I only play 24-team leagues because the playoffs are more fun (except that in the few instances that I DO make them, I seem to exit in round 1) and with 24 teams, the divisions seem to be better balanced and there is a better distribution of talent.

anyway, I had to wait with no team for 2-3 weeks for my current league to fill, but I don't mind anymore.

so, if I HAD to guess, I would say we are seeing a confluence of 1) some declining interest, 2) some departures and cutbacks from the community 3) some disaffection with the way strat runs things, which does sometimes seem less customer-focused than your local COSTCO

not that anyone cares, or should, or that it is any part of the reason, I, personally, am not getting players(whom I consider interesting and worthwhile - AND AFFORDABLE) added to the player set, and others might feel that way also

so, when I am down to 12 teams left in my 'bank' i might just play myself in a 12 team multiple team league.

I presume that the tournaments are still drawing interest too, though, again, never having had the time or interest, I have not ever joined one.

Whoopycat

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 2:12 pm

Regarding waivers... get rid of it, at least in public leagues. It made sense back in ATG1/2 with a limited player pool, but there are so many players now it doesn't make sense to draft a team and then wait 2 days to start making moves.

At least make waivers a maximum of 24 hours, meaning if your league fills at 9pm, waivers ends the following day at 4pm.

Frank Bailey

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 4:58 pm

At caps of $140 and above (maybe a little lower), waivers can be important, even helping to decide which teams will be playoff bound. For $100 caps and lower, I agree that waivers don't make any difference.

Sheikyerboudi

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 12:01 pm

I played in ATG I, so I go back a long way. I was playing 20+ teams at a time at one point - I am currently playing 1 team in a private league. I can't speak for the community at large, but what's killed it for me is that there is too much of everything now - too many cards, too many salary caps etc. I was looking for a 80 or100Mil DH league the other day and it didn't exist!!! It was easier to fill leagues when there were fewer options.

- The Sheik

BC15NY

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 2:28 pm

Sheikyerboudi wrote:I played in ATG I, so I go back a long way. I was playing 20+ teams at a time at one point - I am currently playing 1 team in a private league. I can't speak for the community at large, but what's killed it for me is that there is too much of everything now - too many cards, too many salary caps etc. I was looking for a 80 or100Mil DH league the other day and it didn't exist!!! It was easier to fill leagues when there were fewer options.

- The Sheik

There will never be too many cards for me. I'd like to see every player with 5+ years in MLB represented. Also, I believe the more cards we have available the more it is about skillful team building and less about having a good (or lucky) autodraft.

I completely agree on too many options for league creation though. I'd suggest getting rid of the rookie leagues and eliminating the AL/NL only sets as a start.

Palmtana

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 2:56 pm

BC15NY wrote:....... I'd suggest getting rid of the rookie leagues and eliminating the AL/NL only sets as a start.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=646502

BC15NY

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 3:57 pm

Palmtana wrote:
BC15NY wrote:....... I'd suggest getting rid of the rookie leagues and eliminating the AL/NL only sets as a start.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=646502

Missed that one...thanks for the info!

Hittmens

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 4:03 pm

There will never be too many cards for me. I'd like to see every player with 5+ years in MLB represented. Also, I believe the more cards we have available the more it is about skillful team building and less about having a good (or lucky) autodraft.
I agree and you can always play limited sets if you choose

YettieJohnston

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 5:42 pm

Ahoy,

I hope ATG is not in hospice.
Can't tell you all how much I love trying to overcome my Pirates prejudice to pick a balanced team and try to out manage all you guys. Oh yeah - and I need to pick some of those pesky pitchers too. I think I would fare better if I actually took the time to better understand the Hitters and Pitchers preferences and the Strategy options, as well as what matters for the Standard vs Advanced leagues , but having a team with the Say Hey Kid, McCovey, Stargell, The Great One, and my all time fav for some reason - Frank Howard - can't be beat. Also like when someone opens the door for chit-chat and we can all lament the bad fortunes of our team. ATG - hope you are still there when I reach my goal of living to the age of 125 --- although that may not be so far off!!!

Play Ball!

Yettie

BC15NY

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 6:21 pm

I've been reading about the demise of ATG for the last few years and I just don't see it myself. I'm able to keep at least 15 ATG teams going at all times across various caps. The elimination of the rookie leagues should make a difference in filling leagues quicker. ATG 80m no-dh leagues fill every day.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats