Is Strat-o-Matic ATG over?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

egvrich

Re: Is Strat-o-Matic ATG over?

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 1:07 pm

Sadly, lots of the "good guys" and "old guard" are gone. Fortunately there are still plenty more good people playing this game today. Hopefully we don't lose all of them some day.

Perfect example: I hear Munich Man is still active but I haven't been in a league against/with him in 5-10 years.

danielz

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 4:37 pm

Years ago, at about 11:40 P.M. There would be a post about missing out on a league that just filled. Soon there would be
several responses about starting another league. And we would fill a league in about 10 minutes to beat the midnight draft deadline.

Salty

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 5:01 pm

Chompsky wrote:
The lack of chatter can't be blamed on the game owners and staff. They deserve to get the blame they do on other matters.

Deafening silence during a league is a reflection of societal trends. But guess what? The remedy is pretty easy.

Even if the game is in decline, there is a lot to enjoy--the primary thing being each other.

Chompsky

my 3 pennies:
If I may - would like to disagree with statement -
its not a sign of social trends at all- it has much more to do with energy of the game itself.

When people kind of half care then they don't take the extra time to be part of the community and get to know each other in nearly the same way.
Yeah, folks are still playing - but so much of the actual caring about the game itself wans tremendously when the energy is not seen returned in kind.

FrankieT

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 11:34 pm

All good points from everyone.
Heck I do like to chat in leagues but I know a lot of people don't appreciate it, so I limit it.
But I have come across a few long time players recently that I had seen around but never interacted with before, for whatever reason.

One was SteveF--who actually started the conversation by asking something about my team name--went a little like "So tell me, What the **** is a Quark?" And he isn't just a great player, but a funny dude.

Then there was 1787--I had to know what his username was about--I thought something about the US constitution...but it was his badge number. He was a police officer. What a great guy as well and great long time player too.

Then also springer...who was willing to discuss some trades, which is another area lots of people don't get involved with anymore, but can be fun. Another great competitor and good guy.

Anyway, there are many like that--super smart analytic types who share lots of knowledge, to those that are just colorful folks. So anyway, the game isn't dead yet, but it is on life support. Up to us and SOM I guess to give it some final whirls.

FrankieT

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 11:37 pm

Didn't there used to be a thread with a sort of meet and greet where you told a bit about yourself? I guess people are careful with online identities nowadays but it wasn't like you had to give away locations of moles and stuff. Was pretty cool. Humanized it all.

egvrich

PostSat Nov 02, 2019 8:38 am

tersignf wrote:Didn't there used to be a thread with a sort of meet and greet where you told a bit about yourself? I guess people are careful with online identities nowadays but it wasn't like you had to give away locations of moles and stuff. Was pretty cool. Humanized it all.

I know I started one or two back in the day. I think I called on of them "Let's get to know you .." or something like that.

STEVE F

PostMon Nov 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Thanks for the mention, Frankie. I enjoyed the banter as well. Rich and Mapes and several others are fun to correspond with as well. Sometimes, just a small effort to communicate can be greatly rewarded.

PostMon Nov 04, 2019 8:20 pm

Thanks Frankie for the good words enjoyed our interactions and the great competition always. 1787 [Bill]

The Rivs

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 1:15 pm

It ain't over till it's over!!!

Hey ya'll. Remember me?
Any private leagues need someone?
Been away for nearly 2 years.
Looking for a game.
Join the 140 league ATG 8. Needs 8-9 teams.

FrankieT

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 8:41 pm

Cheers all!
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats