Really dumb

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Chris Franco

Re: Really dumb

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 12:16 pm

...if TWindis started winning only 30 percent of the time or less...as he made all these moves...he'd smarten up quick.

mighty moose

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 12:30 pm

SOM says 10 percent value of the team under the cap is the point at which they would consider taking over the team. If you make a complaint they might do that to this team. We have had to give this a real hard look in the Barnstormers, and have had a few teams affected. But then again if he isn't losing …. ?

thetallguy747

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 1:20 pm

If a manager makes strategically smart roster changes, he can be competitive against teams with a higher roster value. For example, I recently had a Forbes '57 team that lingered in third place and was 5 games under .500 at the 93 game mark. My division was being dominated by a Hilltop Park team with only one LH hitter and the three top run producers being McGwire (4R card), Suttles, and Beltre (who was not platooned). The type of pitching required to be competitive inside my division was different than that against the rest of the league. Originally I had decided to "straddle the fence" in terms of my pitching roster. But as the season went along, that strategy wasn't working. So incrementally I made over my pitching staff, tailoring it to beat the first and fourth place teams in my division, calculating that if I could beat those two teams and break even with the second place team down the stretch, I'd have a shot at making a run for the division title.

Prior to game 94 (the final devaluing of my roster) my record against divisional teams was:

vs. Hilltop team (1st place) 2-7
vs. second place team 6-3
vs. fourth place team 3-6

After game 94, my record against divisional rivals was:

vs. Hilltop team 11-4
vs. second place team 7-8
vs. fourth place team 9-6

My team won the division, with Hilltop and the second place team tied at one game back.

The final roster values in my division were:

My team (1st place) $71,260,000 -- 22 roster moves (11 hitters, 11 pitchers)
Hilltop team $79,970,000 -- Zero roster moves
second place team $79,940,000 -- Zero roster moves
fourth place team $77,650,000 -- 7 roster moves (3 hitters, 4 pitchers)

I suppose it can be argued that, if I had begun the season with my final roster and used the extra money to build around it, I would have fared even better. But that's beside the point. The point is you can devalue your roster and end up with a better record than some full-value teams. If you make the right moves.

Here's the link to my team: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1513356

Radagast Brown

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 2:34 pm

I totally understand your point, however look at what the real life Yankees spend compared with the Indians.

The Indians wouldn't even shell out 16 million a year for two years for Michael Brantley.

The Yankees on the other hand signed DJ Lemaheui to be their utility infielder.

So, no a 60 million dollar team should not necessarily lose 2 out of 3 every time.

rburgh

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 4:20 pm

That guy had a very good team at one point. An excellent 5-day rotation, Piazza's 7.4 card, Teixeira, Vidro, HanRam, and Mathews around the infield, and Boog Powell at DH, Gibson, Wynn, and Canseco around the OF. And he blew it all up after 1 or 2 series; Mathews got 10 AB, Teixeira 13, Piazza 14, Wynn and Gibson in the low 20's.

RandyW64

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 3:48 pm

All,
Some of us are relatively new, and, when a team is underperforming (in our eyes), we like to see if someone can do better for us --- maybe not in THIS league, but going forward to compare. I get how salary dumping affects everyone else in the league, but it sounds like this guy knew his team was tanking and started playing around with different combinations.

There is a rule for this:
- Is there a limit to how many transactions I can make?
Yes. No more than 125 distinct players may spend time on your team throughout the course of the regular season.

He has 70 guys who are no longer on his team. So, I guess, with the exception of the dumping rule, its all w/in the game rule limits?

DGF102052

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Did anyone contact 365support@strat-o-matic.com (som support) regarding this issue ? I m curious what they do or say.about it

Chris Franco

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 11:00 am

DGF102052 wrote:Did anyone contact 365support@strat-o-matic.com (som support) regarding this issue ? I m curious what they do or say.about it

I have not

rburgh

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 11:23 am

Rather than flopping your roster around like a dead fish, investigate the available cards at positions where you might want to make a change using the tools at diamond dope. Better yet, download the card data and tuck it away in a spreadsheet for future reference.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats