a stroll down Memory Lane

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

lanier64

a stroll down Memory Lane

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 11:01 pm

I was just thinking about how many All-Time Greats have youth baseball programs named after them and how many of them are still operating. I can think of Babe Ruth of course, and Joe DiMaggio, Walter Johnson, and Cal Ripkin. Are there any others? I played Little League, Police Athletic League and Joe DiMaggio baseball because that's what the towns I lived in offered. Some neighboring towns had Babe Ruth, and much later Cal Ripkin and of course American Legion which isn't named after anyone. I'm in the Bay Area of Northern California and grew up here. Id lve to hear everyone's stories and if there are any other programs named after players that I may have missed.

Palmtana

Re: a stroll down Memory Lane

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 12:17 am

I grew up in small town Nebraska. Until age 10 or so one played in the "Pee Wee" league. Until this thread I always thought some city father was a fan of Pee Wee Reese. After some research it turns out Pee Wee is a generic term for youth sports. Stupid google. To many facts and not enough fiction in our world.

After our game I would walk across the parking lot and watch the Legion team. I thought they were magnificent.

danielz

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 4:59 pm

My kids play in Barry Bonds baseball.
You can't advance to the next level until you add 20 lbs of muscle.

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 11:29 pm

Here on Long Island there is Connie Mack ages 13-18 and Stan Musial ages 19 and up. Both are very competitive leagues with H.S. JV and Varsity players in the Connie Mack league and many college and former college players in the Musial league. The Musial league feature both wood bat and alum. bat divisions.

Outta Leftfield

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 11:35 pm

I seem to recall a Babe Ruth League when I was growing up in suburban NJ in the 1960s. If I recall correctly, Babe Ruth League was a step above Little League. When I was a Little Leaguer, I thought of Babe Ruth League as played by the "big kids"!

I believe I graduated to the Babe Ruth League when I aged out of Little League, though neither I nor anybody else in the league approximated the star after whom the league was named. ;)

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostFri Jul 12, 2019 7:57 am

We had Babe Ruth League when I was that age growing up in Montana. We went little league to Babe Ruth to American Legion. Unfortunately, we did not have High School baseball there. They still don't have it either.

Interestingly, about 1/3 of the American Legion teams we played against were located in Canada.

MFL536

PostFri Jul 12, 2019 9:23 am

Grew up just outside of Buffalo,NY had American Legion, AAABA(18-20yr olds) MUNY Baseball leagues for (14-20 yr olds), and Town little league ages 8-15

bkeat23

PostSun Jul 14, 2019 11:17 am

As others have mentioned, Babe Ruth League followed Little League.

Not the same, but my daughter graduated from Roberto Clemente High School.

Carl_M

PostSun Jul 14, 2019 4:07 pm

I grew up in Johnstown PA and watched many AAABA championship tournament games. They always brought in some very good teams.

I believe they still hold the tournament there in August.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats