Just sounding out the community -

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

The Last Druid

Just sounding out the community -

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 5:42 pm

A few months ago SOM instituted monthly challenges. Up until today I ignored them. But then I contemplated throwing a team together to win the July lowest pitcher walks contest. So I looked at a couple of the current contenders and one team really caught my attention. It is a 12 team league consisting of, apparently six managers. One manager, gladurealty, has a team that is 19-2. His other team is 16-5. Now the same manager also sports a 143 win season in his trophy case. Another manager has two teams, both in the West that I append below. Clearly these leagues are not designed to be competitive and in my opinion, make a mockery of any contest that awards credits for certain achievements.

So I'm just trying to determine if the community feels as I do, or if they are okay with these sorts of anti-competitive leagues winning three credits or more. I don't object to people having such leagues, certainly that is their choice. The question is should they be able to win a bunch of free credits for their efforts. I think this is probably an unintended consequence of SOM trying to engage more customers; if people feel as I do, I will bring it to Garcia's attention.

Anyway, here are the four teams I find most problematic in this league:

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1517446
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1517445
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1517444
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1517442

egvrich

Re: Just sounding out the community -

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Bruce,

Totally agree and I am one of those suckers who usually puts in a team or two in these contests. Honestly I hadn't realized it was happening, but IMHO in any league that allows managers to have multiple teams it should absolutely be excluded from the contests.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Rich

STEVE F

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 7:45 pm

I don't even know what to say about a team that racks up a 143 win season by setting up a league against vastly inferior competition. What's the point?
I don't think any credits should be awarded to this kind of stuff.

The Last Druid

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 8:00 pm

If I can get a few more folks weighing in I can forward the whole thread to Garcia.

gamiam

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 8:29 pm

Something shady is obviously going on in that league. It's an unlimited cap league and not only does the 19-2 team have all the top players at every position, but there are many teams that have players with salaries under 1 million. As stated above, if that's your thing, fine, but the team shouldn't get credits for any accomplishments when everyone else is playing in competetive leagues.

tdkearns

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 8:56 pm

Maybe the simple solution is to ban leagues that permit multiple owners.
But what am I missing? 6 players get together and buy 2 teams each for a chance to win 3 credits?
Doesn’t seem like a smart move economically for the players.

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 9:20 pm

its such a shame that this could be rewarded . No free credits for leagues that allow managers to have more than one team entered should be the rule, and any records achieved should be stricken.

nomadbrad

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 9:39 pm

Bruce, I totally agree that the Rookie leagues should not count toward manager records.....143 wins? Cripes, in 606 ATG 8 leagues I have had only 16 teams win 110 or more and my BEST is only 117 wins ever......143? Really?

rburgh

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 10:48 pm

This is a farce. Long ago, I participated in a league of 6 managers with two teams each. There was some bizarre strategy involved (including taking advantage of a now-closed hack that allowed us to change ballparks at will) such as trading all of your teams for each other to take advantage of a ballpark the other manager wasn't prepared for. But we all were trying to win.

https://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/league/347380

This league Druid has posted is a joke. Maybe this is a guy with a couple of his children and their neighborhood friends, and he's just standing for the credits to introduce the kids to the game. And maybe the really bad team is a fake person simply intended to let all the kids not finish last. If that's the case, I applaud the guy for what he's doing. But to give him a chance to win credits in a contest that is supposed to be among managers on a level playing field is just plain wrong.

egvrich

PostTue Jul 09, 2019 7:22 am

Theme leagues and rookie leagues should be excluded from records and contests.

And leagues that allow managers to own multiple teams should be excluded from records, contests AND freebies.

Seriously, how easy would it be to finish first in every contest and set every record if you controlled the entire league???
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats