Weird pitching changes

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

CTStough

Weird pitching changes

PostWed May 15, 2019 7:57 am

Is anyone else getting bizarre pitching changes?
I have been using Joe Horlen as a reliever and had him set to f8

I had to take Horlen off of F-8; as Hal was putting him in no matter what and he was pitching at F-0 and/or staying in long after his endurance has faded.

Here is an example.
Horlen had relived in the previous two games. He was out of gas.
I had two good relievers rested and ready.
Horlen was set as first for Closer, Set up and Middle. He was set at F-8.
Mossi was set as second choice for Closer, Set up and Middle.
Mossi had relived the previous game, but not the game before that- he was good for one appearance.
McMahon was fully rested.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/playbyplay/439908/88

TOP OF INNING 9
SUBSTITUTION at P: Joe Horlen (R)
0 J.Morgan 4-11 Fly Out (CF) b-0 F0
1 B.Robinson 4-8 Walk b-1 F0
1 1 C.Yastrzemski 3-9 Home Run (RF) 1-H b-H bpHR 1-18 F0
1 G.Alley 6-11 2 Base Error - RF b-2 fly(RF)x F0
1 2 P.Runnels 4-10 Single (RF) 2-3 b-1 bpSI 1-12 F0
1 1 3 R.Smith 5-5 Sac Fly (LF) 3-H b-0 F0
2 1 R.White 5-5 Fly Out (LF) b-0 F0

Also , Im not getting my best relievers put in the game (unless it is Horlen) even when they are rested.

What gives?

Any suggestions?

(I'm also getting weird and unasked for defensive substitutions)

paul8210

Re: Weird pitching changes

PostWed May 15, 2019 2:58 pm

I've written to the game company recently to complain about F0 pitchers coming into the game when there is a rested pitcher (who has unassigned role) available. I've seen this happen many times, where an F0 pitcher comes in to pitch instead of a rested starter/reliever. A rested starter/reliever (or even a reliever only, as in your case with McMahon?) pitcher often will do you no good if he has no assigned role.

egvrich

PostWed May 15, 2019 4:46 pm

Do you have Closer usage set to Strict or whatever it is? Because if so, Horlen is gonna be the guy in any save situation I believe.

rburgh

PostWed May 15, 2019 5:17 pm

There's no real sense to using that Horlen card as a reliever unless you are in a very restrictive player pool. In any other situation, you should cut him and pick up a primo reliever, who will have a much better card.

HAL brings him in because he has a whole lot of innings.

CTStough

PostWed May 15, 2019 9:03 pm

Thanks big time for your responses.

I think egvrich nailed it.

I think it is the closer usage setting.

That would be the only logical reason HAL would have brought him in.

@Paul8210- Has HAL put in your relievers at 0 when you did NOT have the relief setting at Maximize on the team strategy page?

I'm a little gun shy to test the theory as my team is in contention, but I'm going to do it anyhow. I'll follow up an let you guys know how it turns out.

@rburgh- This is in a ALT league, so yes, the player pool is very restricted. To use a Game of Thrones analogy. I am using the three dragons strategy of relievers. Horlen is Drogon.

paul8210

PostThu May 16, 2019 8:15 pm

@Paul8210- Has HAL put in your relievers at 0 when you did NOT have the relief setting at Maximize on the team strategy page?

I did not have the relief setting at Maximize. Here is my letter to SOM, although it does not describe your exact situation/question:

----------------------

Hope someone can fix this flaw in the baseball game engine.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/438944/388

A seldom used starter/reliever pitcher, Clyde Wright, is available in extra innings, but, HAL brings in a fatigued starter, instead. The seldom used pitcher was not assigned a role, but, should still be given preference over a guy who started the previous game.

This pitcher was not scheduled for future starts, nor, was he part of a default rotation. Same thing happened to my opponent. He had Woody Fryman available, but, he was not used, so, the last inning became a battle of F0 pitchers.

If I can’t use a rested pitcher in relief because he has no role, I might as well have a nine-man pitching staff instead of a ten-man pitching staff.

Thank you,

Paul

I'm a little gun shy to test the theory as my team is in contention, but I'm going to do it anyhow. I'll follow up an let you guys know how it turns out.

egvrich

PostFri May 17, 2019 8:48 am

Inquiring minds want to know ... Has anything change since you adjusted your settings?

CTStough

PostFri May 17, 2019 10:33 am

A situation hasn't arisen for it to be tested yet. I'll let you guys know when it does.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats