Requiem for Dale Murray III

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

DANMARTINELLI

Re: Requiem for Dale Murray III

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 9:37 am

I agree - seeing Pineiro and Duren rack up innings is annoying and seems not in the spirit of the game. I would like to see an overuse penalty where perhaps you cannot exceed 110% of players real life IP's or plate appearances - once a player reaches that they are done for the season.

rburgh

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 10:01 am

This is not intended as a historical exercise. It is simply a site where people use cards developed and priced by the game company. You may not agree with the pricing, or the rules, or the cards. But there are other sites with different rules, different pricing, and different cards. I have tried some of them, they are not nearly as transparent as this one and they have their own quirks.

mykeedee

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 8:48 pm

Plus, most teams operated with many more pitchers during the season than we are allowed here. So nearly all bullpen pitchers will see more innings. That being said, I do think we out to have more flex in our rosters maybe a 30 man draft with only 24 or 25 eligible at any given time, sort of a DL or minor league standby we can swap to with a minimum service time (must be on ML roster for minimum of 9 games). Also a usage switch would be great, maybe more than 110% though, perhaps 125% than poof no more use until playoffs. I play 80m and below salary leagues mostly and I use Duren often, not Pinero (can't ever get him and I'm not gonna list him 1!), but I would be in favor of some way to limit innings and AB's if there was a way to incorporate bigger rosters to round out the teams.

Sandycofax1

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 9:19 pm

That's a good point that the real teams use many more players than we're allowed, so of course their IP tend to be less than an SOM player. I like the idea of a 30 man roster, with 25 active + farm team. The 28 man was an improvement. SOM keeps improving the game, so they may change stamina ratings or some factor, eventually, for super relievers, etc., and for players like Duren and Pineiro to bring them more in line. The simulated stats of by far the majority of players are already realistic enough.

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 5:44 am

MLB teams are often using 30 different pitchers during a season, so yes they absolutely will have a different distribution of innings then we do here. The Rays have used 33 this season (I just heard about their huge bullpen use on the radio).

The other night, the Red Sox and Giants combined to use 24 pitchers..in 1 game. September callups change everything.

tmfw30

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 1:13 pm

Been a while since I've stated my often stated position on this, which is from a different angle entirely:

Part of the fun for me is to take what we're given and see what kind of new history we can create within the rules. A history where, due to the quirks of the numbers, Duren and Ken Smith are major players all of a sudden. (Y'all should pray that I never win Barnstormers: say hello to Eddie Gaedel in the set). I love the freedom to do whacky stuff. I also enjoy joining leagues that have all sorts of constraints on what we can do. Having total freedom (even more than we're offered here) as a default option is my ideal, from which we can make our own rules as we choose.

Now the flaw here, as I see it, is that it's kind of a pain in the ass to set up a league with specific constraints. It's certainly possible, and I participate in like leagues all the time, but they require gentlemen's agreements and policing.

Ideally, at the point of league creation, the person creating the league would have a menu of options (not unlike the hitters/pitchers preferences) to set up a league. Then you could run the gamut from total chaos to a high degree of verisimilitude and everything in between. Since that's not going to happen any time soon, I'm happy the game errs on the side of freedom and we can self-police when we wish.

-matt

Chompsky

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 2:07 pm

I agree with Matt.

We are free people--we can set up rules we like.

The major limit is our imagination.

Sous les pavés, la plage!

Chompsky

sjudd

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 5:04 pm

Gates Brown, Gil Heredia, etc. etc. should be included in an Unleashed card set, not the standard ATG8 set. Eddie Gaedel card available? Love it! But please, Unleashed only. Quirks should be available, not standard IMO.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats