I've been thinking time spans.....ATG 9....where are you???

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

RiggoDrill

Re: I've been thinking time spans.....ATG 9....where are you

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 11:46 pm

STEVE F wrote:Murray should cost at least 9 Mil. Either that or be an R3. I do not understand how he's an R4..

Just for fun, I looked up Murray's game logs for 1974 - he was a rookie called up halfway through the season. He had a lot of long outings because he was pitching mop-up. After performing well in that role, Expos used him in high-leverage situations late in the season. He pitched 3+ innings in 11 of his 32 appearances that year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... &year=1974

After that he lasted another10 years in the majors as an overall, below-average performer.

rburgh

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 4:16 pm

They could fix the super-reliever issue with one little block of code. As soon as a reliever gets to 125% of his carded IP, he is injured for the rest of the season. End of issue.

kab105

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 4:57 pm

Why is the super reliever such an overblown issue when no one seems to have a problem with Bonds hitting 100 HRS and 200 RBI? The super relievers are what they are. If you like them, use them. If you don't like them don't draft them. End of issue.

STEVE F

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 5:06 pm

kab105 wrote:Why is the super reliever such an overblown issue when no one seems to have a problem with Bonds hitting 100 HRS and 200 RBI? The super relievers are what they are. If you like them, use them. If you don't like them don't draft them. End of issue.

I basically agree with this. I don't think any reliever should be more than an R3 however

egvrich

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 6:24 pm

The argument could be made that Murray should be the most expensive pitcher in the set. Because when used as a true "super reliever" he is worth more than Greg Maddux being able to pitch 400 innings, win 30+ games and save another 20-40 games.

In 1974 the immortal Dale Murray pitched in 32 games for a total of 69 innings. He should be at max an R3. But even as an R3 he'd still be nearly as valuable because it's easy to get 300+ quality innings out of an R3 as well.

In a perfect world they'd have inning limitations and reprice these guys realistically.

STEVE F

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 6:41 pm

I am against usage limitations. If you want that, join a CDROM keeper leaugue. I am in 9 of them.
I DO think these super relievers need to be priced in line with the better Starting pitchers.
But in the end, I rarely uses a super reliever and I win my share, so I don't really care what others do

kab105

PostFri Feb 08, 2019 10:27 am

egvrich wrote:The argument could be made that Murray should be the most expensive pitcher in the set. Because when used as a true "super reliever" he is worth more than Greg Maddux being able to pitch 400 innings, win 30+ games and save another 20-40 games.

In 1974 the immortal Dale Murray pitched in 32 games for a total of 69 innings. He should be at max an R3. But even as an R3 he'd still be nearly as valuable because it's easy to get 300+ quality innings out of an R3 as well.

In a perfect world they'd have inning limitations and reprice these guys realistically.

I respectfully disagree. If he is really as valuable as you claim, why isn't he routinely drafted in the first round in all leagues? I am strongly against inning limitations. Repricing is not necessary since the new pinch hitter rule will reduce his value.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats