Football 365 sale

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

supertyphoon

Football 365 sale

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 10:17 pm

I have never played the online SOM football game, but at only $5 per team I was wondering if it would be something fun / interesting to try. But it doesn't look like there are many leagues forming, so it makes me think it's not very popular and if I did create a team it may sit for a week or so waiting for a league to fill. And then there's the leap of faith that the football game might not be very fun or challenging to play once I pay for five teams.

I didn't want to post this in the football forum where they may not be totally unbiased in their opinions, so I'm asking if any of you guys that have played on the football side of the site can pass along any helpful info about the game to help me and whoever else may be interested decide what to do before the sale closes next week. Thanks -- Dan

beavis

Re: Football 365 sale

PostSat Jan 05, 2019 9:54 am

I just bought in the 5 for 25 deal -- will let you know how it goes.

I have a built a team and will be joining a league today. My first impression, upon team building, is how different the general budgeting concept is from baseball. You get a 140 million cap, but the lowest priced players are 5 million. The player pool is also really, really shallow.

My first, team-building impression is that the product should have more significant pricing similarities to its "big brother" baseball and that, if they're going to actively recruit new players, they should have a deeper player pool to work with.

egvrich

PostSat Jan 05, 2019 5:22 pm

Ha ha, guess I was edited for my candor.

beavis

PostSat Jan 05, 2019 11:44 pm

Well, I'll tell you another thing that's annoying. Just like in baseball, if a league fills on Saturday, it takes two Mondays to get it off the ground. Why Strat insists on starting new leagues on Mondays ONLY is beyond me.

The manager side of the football game is very detailed and feature rich and appears to provide great control over offensive and defensive settings, allowing you to matchup with your opponents weaknesses on both sides of the ball. Whether it works, well -- I guess I'll have to get back to you after Monday the 14th ... :roll:

tmfw30

PostSun Jan 06, 2019 2:09 am

"The manager side of the football game is very detailed and feature rich and appears to provide great control over offensive and defensive settings, allowing you to matchup with your opponents weaknesses on both sides of the ball. "

I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed my friend. The football game in it's current form sucks. If they were indeed to give you more managerial control it would have the potential to be as good as the baseball game, but right now it's super lame. The baseball game, notwithstanding its faults, more or less effectively reproduces the pleasure of playing the card-and-dice or pc version. The football game, not even close.

Rich I'm burning to know what got edited...

egvrich

PostSun Jan 06, 2019 9:39 am

tmfw30 wrote:Rich I'm burning to know what got edited...

All I said was the game wasn't very good and that I was very disappointed in it. LOL. Not like I totally trashed it. I was simply honest.

DARRELLPICKELL

PostSun Jan 06, 2019 11:27 am

I really want to play the game..... I really do.... but in its current form... never happening.... the least thing that
has to be fixed is not having each game played over two nights.... I would love the chance to adjust the settings at
half time...

supertyphoon

PostSun Jan 06, 2019 8:11 pm

Well thanks a lot for the feedback guys. If I do decide to buy 5 teams they may sit on the sidelines for a few months until hopefully they improve the numerous unsat aspects of the online game.

sebastian

PostSun Jan 06, 2019 8:26 pm

I played in 3 leagues giving it a chance and decided not to continue. The fact that the entire game is played in one night without any chance of making adjustments as the game plays on is really a bad part of the game. Maybe if at least they split the game into halves, one half played per night allowing for the Halftime adjustments I might reconsider playing again. Just my opinion

beavis

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 9:18 am

tmfw30 wrote:"The manager side of the football game is very detailed and feature rich and appears to provide great control over offensive and defensive settings, allowing you to matchup with your opponents weaknesses on both sides of the ball. "

I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed my friend. The football game in it's current form sucks. If they were indeed to give you more managerial control it would have the potential to be as good as the baseball game, but right now it's super lame. The baseball game, notwithstanding its faults, more or less effectively reproduces the pleasure of playing the card-and-dice or pc version. The football game, not even close.

Rich I'm burning to know what got edited...

You may be right! My team is ready to go, but I continue to wait in strat purgatory as we inch toward Monday. I know it's just how it works, but 8 days since this team drafted and it's just sitting there. Get with the on-demand society, Strat!

A few other impressions -- I wrote above that the player pool is too small, but as you fine tune your team it's really telling. We're spoiled by the number of players in baseball, but football is just so, so shallow. I missed the waiver period because life is so crazy, and in baseball, that's no big deal. In football, missing waivers is consequential.

I also feel like some rules are very fuzzy. I know how to read the cards, but I don't know how the results are generated. I see some players can be "Keyed," but I don't know what it means or how it works. I know how to set my pass/run mix, but I don't know how to focus targets to certain types of players in certain areas of the field, or how to make my fg kicking or fourth down attempts more aggressive. In both football and baseball, I wish strat would make use of the YouTube and post tutorials for players at all levels (intro to advanced).
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats