CHEATING or skewed Game Engine? Need a Statistician!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

STEVE F

Re: CHEATING or skewed Game Engine? Need a Statistician!

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 10:02 pm

rburgh wrote:It is very easy to confuse people with statistics. There is a TV commercial bemoaning the fact that there have been 26 (once in) 500 year storms in the US in the past decade. They neglect to mention that there are several thousand weather reporting stations in the US. Every major city has one, every airport conducting scheduled passenger service has one, most county seats have one, etc.

https://www.weather.gov/arh/stationlist

Any given storm can trigger several of these stations to report a 500 year storm.

The same thing goes here. If the dice turn against me for a period of time, the sky is falling. If they turn against my opponent for a period of time, well, I'm just a good manager.

My teams went 21-6 a few nights ago. I suspect that I got lots of favorable dice rolls. The same thing has happened to all of you. Have you ever dug into the results to see just how friendly your dice were those nights?

I love this post! This was the main reason I quit going to card and dice tourneys in the late 80's. the level of arrogance by some of these guys (if I won , they got screwed by the dice, if they won , well, they were supposed to win) was too much to stomach.

rburgh

Re: CHEATING or skewed Game Engine? Need a Statistician!

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 1:54 am

I quit going to the dice and card tourneys when I saw a guy who must have been 6'-5" and 250 break a table when he lost a game. I figured it was only a small step before he started on opponents.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats