The Turkey Has Landed! (new batter cards :-) )

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

andycummings65

Re: The Turkey Has Landed! (new batter cards :-) )

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 10:34 pm

Radagast Brown wrote:This is so stupid. If SOM were a real company they could do 80 new cards a week...

I am sick of EVERY other player getting his best card represented except for Andrew McCutchen. I am sure it is purely coincidence that a white guy who cheated named, Mark McGuire gets six cards and an African American superstar who never cheated gets his 4L card not even close to his best one.

So why don't you nominate his 2014 card? I'm sure his 2013 card was added because of his MVP award that season.

Maybe you can get him a contract for 2019, too.

Mumford

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 3:52 am

Racism cuts both ways.

Salty

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 9:20 am

Mumford wrote:Racism cuts both ways.

Yeah, I don't know what this means in this context.

BUT-- damn guys!

If any of you play higher caps- man, these new cards really suck for that. I see a few that could get some use as weighted bench guys, and a couple of fringey regs- and before you say it, yeah, there are more cards out there.

For a half second I was excited, but really more meh.

egvrich

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 11:47 am

Some interesting cards there ...
Freddy Sanchez, a usable Carlos Baerga, Tito Fuentes, Ryan Spilborghs, a cheap Vizquel, an Aparico who can actually hit, Jerry Mumphrey (Kal Daniels Lite), a Paul Molitor who can actually field.

Others, meh ...

Did we really need another Lou Whitaker card??? No one will ever use Aramis Ramirez or Tony Armas cards.

It's nice to have new cards, but not a ton there that get me excited. A few as mentioned but a lot of nothing special.

Hack Wilson

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 1:10 am

I think Radagast is a very skillful owner, and I admire him. But really disagree about his racism charges. I'm so tired of racial and identity politics being brought into everything. We all like to win, doesn't matter the race of the player. SOM is too incompetent themselves to orchestrate racism, let alone have a plan how to run this game. On McCutchen, I do think they put a decent card in there (MVP year), but if they did not, it's not racism. But yes, let's put another card in there, but realize it's just the natural order of how the cards unfold. We don't get them the way we want, or we'd have all the cards for all the years. Novel thought.

Salty

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 12:01 pm

Hack Wilson wrote: SOM is too incompetent themselves to orchestrate racism, let alone have a plan how to run this game

of the many, many, many things SoM is guilty of crapping up, never felt racism, intentional or otherwise was one of them.
The entire NeL set would belie that a bit.

my 2 cents : regarding identity politics; to this day lots of people vote against brown candidates simply because they are brown; until that stops happening, we aren't going to get beyond it.

thetallguy747

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 12:51 pm

my 2 cents : regarding identity politics; to this day lots of people vote against brown candidates simply because they are brown; until that stops happening, we aren't going to get beyond it.

My 2 cents: I know the conventional wisdom these days is we're a country teeming with racism. I don't buy it. A brown man doesn't get elected President not once, but twice, in a country on the verge of race war. We will soon elect our first female president and she won't have white skin either. Sure, there are some people who take skin color into account when voting and those people come in all colors.

OK, that's 3 but I'll shut up before I get to 4 cents worth ... because I know this is supposed to be about baseball and not politics. zzzip

RiggoDrill

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 12:57 pm

...didn't there used to be an entire separate message board for political discussions? :roll: :D

thetallguy747

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 1:05 pm

I know. My apologies. :oops:

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 2:17 pm

Racism in this country in this country is systemic. The fact that we twice elected a black man to be President in no way mitigates the racism that runs through the blood stream of America. From voter suppression , community policing , and the overt hateful rhetoric that spews from President "shin splints" and his cronies every day. The good ole boys have circled the wagons around him and with a wink and nod he excuses the hate and racism that they promote. That being said I don't think STRAT was doing his bidding in who gets cards and which ones they get. Bill
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats