The Turkey Has Landed! (new batter cards :-) )

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Salty

Re: The Turkey Has Landed! (new batter cards :-) )

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 4:57 pm

1787 wrote:Racism in this country in this country is systemic. The fact that we twice elected a black man to be President in no way mitigates the racism that runs through the blood stream of America. From voter suppression , community policing , and the overt hateful rhetoric that spews from President "shin splints" and his cronies every day. The good ole boys have circled the wagons around him and with a wink and nod he excuses the hate and racism that they promote. That being said I don't think STRAT was doing his bidding in who gets cards and which ones they get. Bill

1000% Agree with this!

Sheikyerboudi

PostSun Nov 25, 2018 12:56 pm

McCutchen has had exactly 3 DECENT, not great, years where he had an OPS over .900 - never had a 1.000 OPS year. We are not talking about Hank Aaron or Willie Mays here. That being said, I wish SOM and the card committee, would focus on good usable cards. There are over 2,000 batter cards available now and I would hazard to guess that roughly 40 % will never or seldom be used. Stop adding mediocre cards!!! At least the cards from the 1800's are usable. Bill Joyce will be used significantly more than ANY McCutchen card.

- The Sheik

BC15NY

PostSun Nov 25, 2018 6:11 pm

I'm fairly certain racism plays absolutely no role whatsoever in what cards are voted into the set. SOM isn't choosing the cards that get added into ATG, we are.

Re adding "better" cards, it all depends on what you are looking for; high-cap, low-cap, franchise, etc., etc. And until the cards are priced and added you can't be sure which ones are going to be used or not.

I'd personally like to see at least one card in ATG for every player with at least 5 years in MLB. It would be nice if Strat would go ahead and add Marlins and D-backs world series teams, along with more Rays cards.

lanier64

PostSun Nov 25, 2018 10:44 pm

TMFW30 wrote:

whoa Mariano Duncan. Somebody call Shano Collins to tell him he's fired from his DH platoon role from now on...

Check out Freddy Sanchez for a platoon in high cap leagues!!!

honestiago

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 1:33 pm

Radagast Brown wrote:This is so stupid. If SOM were a real company they could do 80 new cards a week...

I am sick of EVERY other player getting his best card represented except for Andrew McCutchen. I am sure it is purely coincidence that a white guy who cheated named, Mark McGuire gets six cards and an African American superstar who never cheated gets his 4L card not even close to his best one.

Man, I love Cutch. One of my favs in the modern game. Wouldn't mind seeing another card or two of his. Agree there's overrepresentation of some players (like Mac).

But know what I hate more? Seeing Joel Piniero, Atley Donald, Ryne Duren in rotations in every damned league I play in. I want a usage mechanic. Duren started 1 game in 1958 (I think that's the card?). ONE. And there he is--every 5th day. And VERY tired of Atley Donald. Sheesh. All Time Great my a**.

honestiago

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 1:45 pm

Mumford wrote:Racism cuts both ways.

No, it really doesn't. Check out incarceration rates (among other things). That said, I don't think it has anything to do with card selection. I know I pushed for Mike Norris, and he got added. I run teams with Vidro/Furcal all the time. Ken Griffey has several cards. Mays. As far as modern representation goes, there has been a decline in black baseball players for 30+ years. Representation went from over 18% in 1981 to just below 8% in 2017. Which makes Cutch's success more visible, as it is more rare.

That said, when do we get a Mookie Betts card? :D
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats