All ye Veterans......where & when did you serve?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

LANCETUCKER

Re: All ye Veterans......where & when did you serve?

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 10:59 am

USN Quartermaster(Ships Navigation) on the USS Willamette 83-86. Stationed in Pearl Harbor, worst 3 years of my life ;)

drfreeze49

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 11:19 am

Air Force 21 years... started career at Stewart Afb 1st Air Force

Then Ft Lee Va
Atlantic City Det 1 95th fighter
KADENA AB Okinawa
Travis AFB Ca 22 Air Force
KUNSAN AB Korea
Brooks AFB TX
March AFB CA
HiCKAM AFB HI 1986 PACAF softball champs
Fort Monmouth NJ special duty

Radar operator...
Command Post
Softball

Retired 1989 after 21 years Master Sgt.

dharmabums

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 1:05 pm

Navigation electronics technician on FBM submarines (Ben Franklin and Daniel Webster), 1975-81
Mainly stationed at Groton, CT

The Last Druid

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 6:58 pm

Got a congressional appointment to West Point in 1974 but turned it down. When I began the application process, the Vietnam war was still on. But then the draft ended in December, 1973, and with it my desire to attend West Point. I was willing to defend this country but would never have participated in the Vietnam War. And looking back over our history of destroying sovereign nations over the past thirty years, whether by invasion or by proxy, I am very happy with the choice I made.

honestiago

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 12:30 am

88-97
Defense Language Institute
Fort Hood
Misawa AB, Japan

thetallguy747

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 10:39 am

Happy Veterans Day and thank you to everyone here who served our country!

I worked overseas (New Zealand, Australia, and Japan) for the State Department for the better part of a decade -- so I especially want to thank the Marines. You guys kept us safe!

And a special thank you to the Vietnam Vets. It's shameful how my generation of fellow countryman treated you upon your return to civilian life. Nothing we do or say can ever make that up to you.

modmark46

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 8:26 am

Late to this post, but thanks for asking. I did a two year tour in the Marines right out of HS; 74-76. Was an Antitank Assault Man, trained with the old 106 recoilless rifle. Did a 13 month stint overseas - stationed on Okinawa and in the Philippines. My battalion was assigned to a ship, and we made port calls all over (Thailand, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan...) as a show of strength. It was a troubled time, as N. Vietnam had invaded S. Vietnam. We were alerted and were on our way to defend when we were turned back just hours from Vietnam. Our mission went from one of combat to setting up shelters and feeding the many refugees that had been evacuated as S. Vietnam fell. That was as close to Vietnam as I got. Finished my service at Camp Pendleton, CA. Left as a Corporal. Most formative two years of my life, by far. I hope all of my fellow vets are doing well. And if you haven't had a chance to, check out the Medal of Honor series on NetFlix. Very stirring.

mrharryc

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 10:21 am

I'm a little late here too...

Served as a field artillery officer in the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment along the East-West German border for five years '79 through '83. Left active service as a captain after serving in a variety of line and staff positions including my last position as the head of the nuclear surety program, directing the regiment's alert system and the authentication and release of tactical nuclear weapons. After that, spent four years commanding a smoke generator unit in the reserves in Beaver Falls, PA.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats